A Sight To Bring Tears To The Eyes: 45,000 Barrels Of Bourbon Wasted!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Alaskanpiper, I'm pretty sure the Kriek I had was raspberry and not cherry....but it was a while ago.
"They are well known for making some of the most high abv beers on the planet though, some pushing 55% abv and some sold inside stuffed squirrels (not kidding). A crazy brewery."
Yup, I know all about them and some and yes, crazy as a bag of snakes!
Regards,
Jay.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Alaskanpiper, I'm pretty sure the Kriek I had was raspberry and not cherry....but it was a while ago.
It very well may have been, who knows, but typically those would be labeled "framboise"

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Apparently they make great whiskeys in Japan now. I have not been nerdy enough to check any of them out, as they are very expensive here, but there certainly is some innovation in the field.
Very true! I was in Japan for an international wildlife research conference some years ago. I can tell you that the Japanese "Scotch" whisky I tasted there was truly exceptional.
Also, not a typo, they spell whiskey without the e there.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Taiwan and India as well now. Although the Japanese offerings are much more plentiful. The Taiwanese Kavalan is great whiskey though.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Here we go, so my memory was good and it was indeed a raspberry flavoured kriek.
Traditionally, kriek is made by breweries in and around Brussels using lambic beer to which sour cherries (with the pits) are added. A lambic is a sour and dry Belgian beer, fermented spontaneously with airborne yeast said to be native to Brussels; the presence of cherries (or raspberries) predates the almost universal use of hops as a flavoring in beer.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When I mentioned above the American IPA whose name escaped me (Lagunitas) had no fewer than 22 different hop varieties I was wrong, very wrong....
"With 43, yes count them, 43 different hops and 65 various malts, this is a well-rounded and highly drinkable IPA. It's a world classic. "
....and I'm delighted to report is back in stock at my supplier :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Traditionally, kriek is made by breweries in and around Brussels using lambic beer to which sour cherries (with the pits) are added. A lambic is a sour and dry Belgian beer, fermented spontaneously with airborne yeast said to be native to Brussels; the presence of cherries (or raspberries) predates the almost universal use of hops as a flavoring in beer.
"Here we go, so my memory was good and it was indeed a raspberry flavoured kriek lambic."
Simply a terminology issue here. Lambic is the style of beer. Kriek is a substyle of lambic, which utilizes cherries. There are other substyles of lambic that utilize other fruits, such as raspberries. If it said Kriek on the label, it was flavored with cherries I promise you.
What you had was either a raspberry lambic, or a cherry lambic (kriek). Since Kriek is the word you recalled on your own, I suspect what you had was a cherry lambic (Kriek).
Of course it is possible to use multiple fruits in the same lambic, so it may have been flavored with both, in which case I suppose it could be called a raspberry kriek?............this would be unusual, but I suppose possible.
Glad to hear your Lagunitas is back in stock :P

Status
Not open for further replies.