Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Delisia The Cigar Vixen did a streaming cigar, food, drink, lifestyle travel series that was ok at best. I watched free on Hulu I think.?
well I think the host is a big part of how good it will be. For instance that's not grabbing my interest at all. For instance the host shouldn't be described as sexy. I mean they could be but right off the bat makes me think they're shooting for a different audience then I would be going for.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
well I think the host is a big part of how good it will be. For instance that's not grabbing my interest at all. For instance the host shouldn't be described as sexy. I mean they could be but right off the bat makes me think they're shooting for a different audience then I would be going for.
Agreed... I didn't make it past the first episode of that show.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Agreed... I didn't make it past the first episode of that show.
You have to have faith in the basic premise of a show if you're making one. The description tells me they didn't have faith in the premise and had to add titillation to the equation. Not that you can't have that, but if it's the first thing you say, well you don't think the rest of it is worth squat.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
The thing is if you had a host that was interesting enough and went to tobacco friendly places around the world and not just luxury but like pipe factories and focused more on the odd characters and interestingness of tobacco and pipes and stuff, people who aren't into pipes might find it compelling and addictive to watch. I'd be willing to give Jim Inks a test if I was producing or running the show. I don't know how the camera feels about him or how he feels about being on camera, but he's got a tolerant, fun, and intelligent personality that has a possibility of translating on to the screen. And if he's got that zazz you could watch him interacting and fun teaching and not even care if he shirt comes off or stays on.
Nothing against Cigar Vixen I know nothing about her and she might be totally capable of pulling off an interesting show like that but not with a crew that is so cheap and crass in their view of their audience.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pipe demographic is small, so a show would have to stay on cable (or other limited online outlets) and hope to appeal to some non-smokers too. There was a pawn broker show that was well received and fairly widely watched that made celebrities of its cast, with a far wider audience than pawn brokers and their customers. It had an ensemble of characters that were distinct and interesting, and some expertise that brought some information to the show--about antique weapons, classic autos, jewelry, etc. -- that made it interesting. Some producer could hit it out of the park with a pipe show, but it would require the right crew and cast.

Reactions: JOHN72