A Shitty Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
This Ashton has sat in my harem, unsmoked, in all her virgin glory, for nearly 15 years. She’s always seemed like a Christmas pipe to me, perhaps that was the reason I decided, on a recent winter afternoon, to load her up with some Santa’s Mistake, and consummate our relationship. Things were going nicely until about mid-bowl, when she hit the floor. The hardwoods were not so forgiving.

I imagine a little epoxy should do the trick, seems a pretty straight forward affair. However this pipe is special and I don’t want to queer the deal…

Attachments

• 7B892700-6259-4309-AFDE-ECCFCE870284.jpeg
    7B892700-6259-4309-AFDE-ECCFCE870284.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 7A461E2F-2587-4246-B9F2-256A72C03F6B.jpeg
    7A461E2F-2587-4246-B9F2-256A72C03F6B.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 68

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
How terrible. Think I'd be inclined to see if a pro repairman could do the job. Since you said mid-bowl am guessing you were clenching. I'm not a clencher, so I never have to worry about a pipe tumbling from my mouth.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This Ashton has sat in my harem, unsmoked, in all her virgin glory, for nearly 15 years. She’s always seemed like a Christmas pipe to me, perhaps that was the reason I decided, on a recent winter afternoon, to load her up with some Santa’s Mistake, and consummate our relationship. Things were going nicely until about mid-bowl, when she hit the floor. The hardwoods were not so forgiving.

I imagine a little epoxy should do the trick, seems a pretty straight forward affair. However this pipe is special and I don’t want to queer the deal…
Epoxy won't hold long term. Have a professional restorer do a tenon replacement. George Dibos is a great choice. Any repair he does will be invisible.

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
Dumb me. I just realized that this is a spigot mount. Even better reason to check with George. He's the best stem guy I know and can produce an exact duplicate of the original. You won't know that anything ever happened to this pipe when he's done his magic.
Wish it were that easy…. After a series of back and forth messages we determined that this particular model has a feaux military mount, a sort of Rube Goldberg contraption that, for reasons which perhaps died with Bill, made it into this pipe.

Much appreciate Mr. Debos’ kind attention in this matter (through which I learned a fair bit about things I didn’t know); unfortunately she is not a suitable candidate for a proper repair. The good news is that I can’t reallly do any harm by sticking it back together with chewing gum - which seems to be holding so far. I just won’t be taking her out dancing and no more rough trysts…. which is fine, she was always kind of a rack queen anyway.

• Sad
Reactions: PeterPipersPizza