PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2016
Hi,
I am trying to find a replacement for Dobie's Four Square Mild Navy Cut. It was my first tobacco on the more natural side.
Thank you

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Don't know it I'm afraid. Orlik Golden Sliced or Rotary Navy Cut may be worth investigating.

Mar 29, 2016
Thanks, I could try Rotary Navy Cut, if I can find it. Orlik Golden Sliced is no match unfortunately.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Could you describe the taste of the four square? I was shooting in the dark. The lads here have tremendous taste buds so I bet someone will point you in the right direction.

Good luck with the search.

Mar 29, 2016
Dry figs smell from the tin, I think it was a flue cured Virginia. The taste was the same as the smell, mild to medium, creamy Virginias but the fig taste was what set it apart. Was it a casing/topping? Was it the fermentation process? I don't know. That fig flavor tasted quite natural to me.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
A navy cut with an aroma of figs suggests rum and or peruique to me.

Rotary Flake again comes to mind or St James Flake.

Mar 29, 2016
It had no rum topping and no Perique, it was a Virginia flake. I tried many Virginia flakes but this taste has remained elusive. It was an all day smoke, light with enough flavor to keep you interested.

Mar 29, 2016
I checked Rotary's description and it has rum so no go. I have tried tens of Virginia flakes and Va/Pers, I'm specifically looking for a Virginia flake that has that taste. Maybe some pipe smokers who tried Dobie's Mild Navy Cut in the past, came across a Virginia flake that tasted about the same?
Thank you all for your answers.

Mar 29, 2016
Thank you very much guyrox. I'm reading JimInks's review of it, a coconut topping that for me, would be quite present in the smoke. I might try the ribbon cut Virginia which seems on a more natural side. I read somewhere than Capstan Yellow could be a replacement, my problem is that the Mac Baren offering is way too sweet for Capstan Blue when compared to the Orlik version. Someone should tell them that obesity is a social evil in our Western civilization! And so the search goes on. The travel is more important than the destination.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
McClellands does a lot of interesting blends with Virginias, so you might browse there and sample select examples. You might try tweaking a Virginia blend with condiment tobaccos or flavorings to see how close you can come. While you're doing this, you might happen on a blend that approximates the one you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.