PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I just popped my first two tins of Irish Flake with the intent to jar them. When I opened the first one, I didn't get that satisfying vacuum pop sound that I really like when opening a tin. When I got the top off, I noticed that little flecks of tobacco had gotten into where the glue holds the seal together on the tin. Thankfully, the tin wasn't that old, and the flakes still feel very fresh and are nice and moist and intact, so nothing to worry about there, but this is why we are told from time to time to check all the tins in our cellars, to make sure that something like this doesn't happen. Also probably a good idea to check the seal on all your tins when you get them from your retailer as well, so if there is a problem with an incorrectly sealed tin, it can be rectified immediately.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Well, I never thought of that. I wonder if that's. a freak occurrence or if there's an actual percentage of failures? To tell the truth, I haven't experienced the like in nearly 55 years of pipe smoking, but from your description, it isn't too difficult to see how something like that could occur.bb

Jul 15, 2011
The lid wouldn't budge, I did check that much before I tried to pry it open, so it must have been sealed to some degree, I just didn't get that *whoosh* sound you get when the vacuum seal breaks. The other tin was just fine so no issues there. I am thinking this probably was a freak occurrence but I guess it is possible.

Jul 15, 2011
I should also add that between this and the tin of Old Joe Krantz that nearly killed me, opening a new tin sure as hell is an adventure for me. :mrgreen:

Mar 1, 2014
Thus everything intended for long term storage is in jars.
Except that you never have the foresight to buy enough jars for all the tobacco you inevitably will purchase.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If you crack every tin and jar it, what ever aging has happened prior to you getting the tin is stopped as soon as you add air to the mix. It will restart, but will never be the same.

If you are buying tins you are best to leave them be in a cool, dark place. Just check the seals occasionally.

Dec 24, 2012
As someone who has over 4000 tins I don't plan to check them periodically. I would need to hire someone full time to do that. I put all my square and rectangular tins (those have the worst reputation for failing) in air tight containers. That way I have a second line of defence if a tin seal fails.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I always get anxiety when I see these threads. Recently I was putting some stuff into my cellular and had two Penzance tins that had lost their seal.

hitman

Lurker
Aug 3, 2014
How can one tell if the seal is broken? Does it pop up like a canning jar?
-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.