Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I think this is the most appropriate forum to share it in.

“Must be a yearning deep in the human heart to stop the people from doing as they please. Rules, laws--always for other fellow. A murky part of us, something we had before we came down out of trees, and failed to shuck when we stood up. Because not one of those people said: "Please pass this so that I won't be able to do something I know I should stop." Nyet, tovarishchee, was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them "for their own good"--not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I love Heinlein's writing but I swear he's got the highest rate of me agreeing but with a caveat. Like in this case I think oh yeah, but it's not quite as big or total as you're implying. What the hell though that's a lot more fun then reading someone that just makes me nod my head and say "oh yeah 100% on that too".

Reactions: Casual

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I love Heinlein's writing but I swear he's got the highest rate of me agreeing but with a caveat. Like in this case I think oh yeah, but it's not quite as big or total as you're implying. What the hell though that's a lot more fun then reading someone that just makes me nod my head and say "oh yeah 100% on that too".

Good point. The world is nuanced and full of exceptions, but we tend to see things in simple, black and white terms-- this is what makes us feel good. Which is another way we tend to decide what's true or not; not how well it represents the truth or reality, but how good it makes us feel or how well it fits into the picture of the world we've already painted. We just don't like messing with this picture, no sir.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good point. The world is nuanced and full of exceptions, but we tend to see things in simple, black and white terms-- this is what makes us feel good. Which is another way we tend to decide what's true or not; not how well it represents the truth or reality, but how good it makes us feel or how well it fits into the picture of the world we've already painted. We just don't like messing with this picture, no sir.
and yet we end up happier if we do that and force ourselves not to rest on our laurels.

Status
Not open for further replies.