PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltydog7

Lurker
Aug 19, 2013
Howdy folks,
I, lately, have been searching out pipes on eBay. It want long till I came across these small pipes of stone. I hadn't seen any of these in my traditional tobacco pipe research. And sadly, a google search didn't bring up anything else. So I am brought to ask the kind folk of the forum. Has anyone ever smoked these small stone pipes? Are the even for tobacco? They mostly look like this....
http://www.woodstonepipes.com/collections/stone-pipes
Thanks in advance, Saltydog7

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah - those are for weed only. Tobacco pipes are made from briar or meerschaum (or pear wood)

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Saltydog7:

I have an eagle and claw pipe made of pipestone that the Native Americans used. I haven't smoked it in years, so don't remember what it's like. But I can give it a go and report back to you if you want.

dannybeans

Lurker
Aug 12, 2013
Northern Indiana
Intent notwithstanding, is there any practical reason why one couldn't smoke tobacco in one of those? Yeah, they're ugly as sin and would probably get unpleasantly hot, but they seem to have all the required bits and holes to do the job.
Just playing devil's advocate here. I'm not a fan, myself.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Danysbeans, the pipe would have bits of tobacco go into your mouth, it would not absorb the moisture, it would get hot to hold, you would have to burn the tobacco instead of let it smolder which would ruin the flavor. There's probably more reasons but that should be enough to convince you to but a cob that also cost less.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm of the opposite opinion regarding stone. It is generally very absorbant and retains heat; in short, it would be a mess. We all know what these pipes are for and they have nothing to do with our hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.