PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Luiz

Lurker
Sep 7, 2021
Hi I have difficulties in identifying the main differences between the prince and diplomat pipes from the apple shape family.
I believe the chief difference comes from the stem. Both are alike but the diplomat features an oval stem while the prince has a round stem. Could someone give me a hand with this? thanks :)

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Google comes up with this from tobacco pipes.com:
The Diplomat is finished with a long slightly bent stem. The easiest way to differentiate between a Diplomat and a Prince is to look at the shank: the former has an oval shaped shank while the latter is cylindrical.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the bowl of a diplomat is a little taller at the top than most apples, but not quite a brandy, in many instances. But shapes are shape shifters. I have a Johs apple that looks more brandy-like to me, but I took the carver's word for it. Apple. But the shape of the shanks on the prince and diplomat is definitive.

Reactions: tobefrank

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Lots of pipe shape charts available.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

What is confusing is that different pipe makers name their pipes differently.

I have one which was called a straight apple by the maker (Ashton) but the squat bowl is more of Prince-like to my eyes. The quintessential Prince should have a 1/8 bent stem, but you often see them with straight stems.

A Prince has a squat, rounded bowl (inner diameter of bowl roughly equal to the depth), with a slender round shank and stem. Either straight or with a slight (1/8) bend. It should look elegant and svelte.

An apple has a taller, rounded bowl (bowl depth > inner diameter) with a round shank & stem. The stem may be straight or bent.

A Diplomat is a coarser, sturdier more workman-like variation of a Prince. Broad, plump, rounded bowl with a thick, stout shank & stem which are oval rather than rounded and have a slight (1/8 - 1/4) bend.

I will try to post some pics of my Princes and apples tonight if I get the chance.