PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I'm quite excited. I just ordered my first Meerschaum pipe from Altınay pipes. Just a simple, smooth billiard. But I'm happy just thinking about it.

I understand that I will have to apply beeswax to the pipe as part of its maintenance. My question is... when? Shall I order the beeswax now and apply a coat before the first smoke? or do I wait until after I have smoked the pipe?

And is it recommended to use clear/white beeswax or colored/yellow?

Thank you all in advance!

ALTINAY_0196-1120x800[1].jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Wax definetly not necessary. I promise you. Just smoke it.
The only thing I can tell you is to wipe out the bowl and run a pipe cleaner through the stem before smoking it the first time. Many times there is still meerschaum dust inside it and that's not a pleasant taste.
Absolutely beautiful specimen of a pipe you chose! Classic and simple.
Is that your Tele in the pic?

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I have a meershcaum from the early 70's that just got smoked for the first time last year. Hadn't been waxed in all those years. I don't think its necessary to wax it but have heard that it helps to color the pipe. I would give it a few smokes then maybe a light coat of beeswax. Buff it with a microfiber cloth after each smoke and wax it again every now and again. Enjoy the new pipe. Meershcaums are great!

Reactions: yanoJL

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I understand that I will have to apply beeswax to the pipe as part of its maintenance
Why? It comes with a proper coating. Just load, light and enjoy. In fifty years of smoking meers I've kept my color natural and never waxed. If you do, you get a waxy, baby shit brown color. Granted the pipe will continue to color naturally from the inside out and mostly bottom up. But, it's your pipe do with it as you wish.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I understand that I will have to apply beeswax to the pipe as part of its maintenance. My question is... when? Shall I order the beeswax now and apply a coat before the first smoke? or do I wait until after I have smoked the pipe?
Wax is only applied by the carver to protect the soft material from scratches, and there's a lot in there. You'll never need to add more.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Wax definetly not necessary. I promise you. Just smoke it.
The only thing I can tell you is to wipe out the bowl and run a pipe cleaner through the stem before smoking it the first time. Many times there is still meerschaum dust inside it and that's not a pleasant taste.
Absolutely beautiful specimen of a pipe you chose! Classic and simple.
Is that your Tele in the pic?
Thank you. I may have overdosed on YouTube and got the idea that applying a layer of wax to the bowl will assist with patina/coloring. I did not realize that the pipe will come waxed.

Yep, that's my Tele. It's a 62 reissue. I actually bought it new in 1988, so not pre-CBS or collectable, but I love her just the same.

• Love
Reactions: didimauw

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Wax is only applied by the carver to protect the soft material from scratches, and there's a lot in there. You'll never need to add more.
Thanks, Cap.
I think I watched too many meer videos on YouTube. One dude recommended smoking it upside down to accelerate the coloration process. That sounds... messy. And another fashioned a "smoke box" where he keeps the pipe in a sealed chamber of smoke.
Lots of questionable advice out there!

Reactions: Chasing Embers

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Why? It comes with a proper coating. Just load, light and enjoy. In fifty years of smoking meers I've kept my color natural and never waxed. If you do, you get a waxy, baby shit brown color. Granted the pipe will continue to color naturally from the inside out and mostly bottom up. But, it's your pipe do with it as you wish.
Thanks, Warren. I did not realize the pipe would come with a coating. I thought I would have to DIY that on my own.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I believe the purpose is to aid/accelerate coloring. But based on the answers I've been receiving in this thread, it doesn't seem to be necessary or recommended.
Nah, meerschaum is soft it's just there to protect the surface. No extra waxing here.

IMG_4802__51590.1574218451.jpeg-9.jpgRemini20220312011757783.jpg

Reactions: yanoJL