A Question for Parents of Little Kids...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I posted a picture of my little guy (he's 3) with the mini corn cob I picked up as a joke from MM. I'm not comfortable with encouraging the habit, but I think if he decides when he's an adult that he wants to try it then I suppose that's his choice. I'm smoking because of memories of both of my grandfathers, perhaps he'll do the same out of memories of me when he's older. I think I would disuade him until he's a fair bit older, I started this at 38.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That's up to the kids, isn't it? Mine are grown, and one of the three - all daughters - smokes an occasional cigar, but pretty much only on vacation or festive occasions.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I agree Jud, I don't think encouraging them to be a pipe smoker is necessarily good parenting. If he decides to do it on his own, when he's an adult capable of making that decision then perhaps we'll be able to enjoy a bowl together.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have two young daughters and I wouldn't encourage nor do I expect them to want to smoke a pipe, but if they should want, they would have to wait until they're 18. Then it's up to them.
Smoking a pipe suits me perfectly, but I wouldn't go out of my way to convert my daughters or anyone else for that matter, mainly because this is not something that will suit everyone.
I would however actively discourage cigarette smoking. To me, the two are very different.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
+1 Six, seems counterintuitive to most but I couldn't agree more. The chemicals and crap in the cigarettes as well as the inhaling makes the two significantly different. Most people I've talked to however feel thats just justification on my part.

guerillapiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2013
USA
"...I wouldn't encourage nor do I expect them to want to smoke a pipe..."
I completely agree. But if they wanted to learn to smoke a pipe, I'd be proud to lead them along.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I find that kids pretty much end up doing the opposite of their parents. I know I did. So I try to set the worst example. Part of rearing well rounded kids. Ever notice the kids that get into the most trouble often come from puritanical homes? Today puritanical means Politically Correct homes. Pop smokes! Deal with it! They can have it out with me on my death bed dying of emphysema if that day should ever arrive. Till then I say shut yer pie hole.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My oldest son who is 22 smokes a pipe on occasion and he enjoys it. I never encouraged him but he knows it is much better than smoking cigarettes which he also does. I have always told my kids they need to make their own decisions in life and to live with the consequences. Once they turn 18 they can do whatever they feel is right. I would much rather see my kids smoking a pipe than cigarettes any day.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Right or wrong, I do make the distinction with my two young lads between cigarettes and pipes and cigars. I also discuss the concept of moderation. As well, I try to show them, through example, one can enjoy a glass of beer or wine and not necessarily be an inveterate drunk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I take after my dad and his dad, though my dad smoked far more than gramps or me,

continuously for decades, pipes and cigars, but mostly pipes. I guess I'd avoid too

much second-hand smoke with kids. They get bugs and sometimes have coughs

and such. Kids watch how parents do with health and aging and make their own

call despite what we do or tell them, of course.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Crap. By the time our kids grow up they won't be able to afford tobacco anyway...

Jan 21, 2013
I have always told my kids they need to make their own decisions in life and to live with the consequences.

cigrmaster - Couldn't agree more. I think this is one of those common sense things that a lot of todays parents [and kids] don't get. They would rather whine about their "situation" than take responsibility for it.
I also discuss the concept of moderation.

Brewshooter - Another excellent point. I am back to brewing beer kits on a regular basis and enjoy sitting down with a beer or two on Fri/Sat evening but I don't drink to excess. I may even enjoy a single beer during a weekday evening while relaxing by the woodstove. Back along the lines of kashmir's point, I would rather expose them to responsible drinking than shelter them from it.
However, I am quite the opposite with my smoking of pipes and cigars. I do enjoy them in moderation, but never around the kids (all younger, for at least a little while longer). Seems a bit hypocritical, I know, and it is something that I have wrestled with since I started smoking pipes (only recently). I don't think they would appreciate the reasons for enjoying the hobby, right now they still want to be like me and I think that would sway their decision. I would prefer that they decide for themselves when they are older. I'm sure they will try cigarettes.. I did.. Enjoyed them for a few years before I came to my senses. I am quite vocal with my disgust for them now, which leads to some debates (usually with my wife) where I can explain to people the difference between pipes/cigars and cigarettes (she insists that they are both bad, and I suppose she is right).
Anyways... this has been on my mind for a while... Thanks guerillapiper for starting the discussion. I guess my answer to your question is, when they are old enough if they decide to take it up, I would assist them with the hobby. I would even suggest it to dissuade them (or anyone!) from smoking cigarettes.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have three boys 7mo to 7 years, I have gotten each of them their own pipe (years pipes, or something they may like when older)..My oldest doesnt seem to care about them one way or the other. My middle cant keep his hands off my pipes. One day when they can have them if they smoke em or leave them on a shelf that will be up to them.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Agreed Meltdown, I've been wrestling with this for several months now. My kids are 10 and 3, and my little guy wants to be just like me (poor kid). I suppose I can look at it like this, my Dad smoked cigarettes my whole childhood and into my teenage years. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life and never even wanted to try it. The thought repulses me. However there is an art and a thoughfulness with pipes, and a sense of the good old days and slowing down to concentrate on what is important. The contemplative nature of pipe smoking is what appeals to me, here's hoping I can somehow translate that to my kids.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I believe there are far worse things in life one can do then smoking a pipe. I disagree trying to actively persuade anyone let alone my children in doing such a thing. However if either one of my kids wanted to learn how after 18 I would certainly teach them. As of right now it is not against the law and as adults I would respect any law abiding decision they make.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Good point. You see your dad smoked cigarettes and you don't. My dad was a runner and never smoked anything in his life. I ended up smoking everything! LOL. They say habits and lifestyles skip generations. Besides I rationalize for kids to grow up properly well rounded they need to be exposed to the good, bad and the ugly. How else are they supposed to learn right from wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.