PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
how often do you change them
I only smoke my curry once a week so I don’t expect to change them anytime in the foreseeable future. From memory the guys who smoke them daily might get 10 or so smokes out of the chalk ones?

to answer your other question, the philt pads filters would be easy to cut down

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The line on meerschaum 'cutty' pipes is usually the top of the Philt Pad/Meerschaum Thingamy or Three Penny Bit. If you are going to use a silver coin you will need to drill a series of smallish holes about the size that appear in shirt buttons. Do not drill a bloody great hole in the middle as that just defeats the whole purpose. The principal behind the plug or restrictor is fairly similar to that of the 'Coloring Bowl' in that the base of the pipe acts in a fashion similar to a retort or a calabash. The space under the coin collects all the moisture/tar/other sh*t and is absorbed into the meerschaum as it heats up. This results in the coloring of the bowl and the stem. Sometimes it starts at the stem and works it way down, other times it will start at the heal of the 'cutty' pipe. Depending what you are smoking the pipe will go a uniform 'sh*t' color over time up to the level of the restrictor as shown in Weezel's pipe with the stem band. In picture 2 Weezel's pipes has started to turn brown from behind the bowl where the silver band is shown as a late 19th century repair.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
One last thing. Do not stick a modern pipe cleaner into an amber stem! Use the long soft cleaners used for modeling. If you cannot find any either I or Weezell will send you a bunch as it is cheaper then trying to buy a new amber or amberite stem. Trust me on this point.
I will look for some modelling pipe cleaners,I have some extra thin Falcon cleaners,they are soft cotton fluffy

another question do the bowls get quite warm,I have smoked 1792 flake and an aro in it and the bowl seems warm to me.The smoke was cool though,I guess because the meerschaum drys it

Reactions: jpmcwjr

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I found these ones,not sure about the thickness though but for less than 1 euro I will order some and see as I have 3 pipes with amber stems
The Littlies Pipe Wire 6x300mm 50pcs

The Littlies Pipe Wire 6x300mm 50pcs​

menu

Evaluate the productPrice evolution
Pipe wires from The Littlies.
  • Suitable for constructions and crafts
  • The package contains 50 wires in 5 different colors
  • Dimensions: Ø 6mm. / M: 30cm.
  • Safe for use in schools and kindergartens

Reactions: OzPiper

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
If you are going to use a silver coin you will need to drill a series of smallish holes about the size that appear in shirt buttons. Do not drill a bloody great hole in the middle as that just defeats the whole purpose.

I drilled 3 holes about 3mm each,I wonder if they are to big as i got an accumulation of ash below the coin after about 6 smokes,I am wondering how to remove it.Maybe once dry it will drop back through the holes if i gently tap the pipe

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If you are going to use a silver coin you will need to drill a series of smallish holes about the size that appear in shirt buttons. Do not drill a bloody great hole in the middle as that just defeats the whole purpose.

I drilled 3 holes about 3mm each,I wonder if they are to big as i got an accumulation of ash below the coin after about 6 smokes,I am wondering how to remove it.Maybe once dry it will drop back through the holes if i gently tap the pipe
Gently remove the coin. You should gently scrape around the bowl before doing this and then use a cork screw threaded into one of the holes to pull the coin out. Clean the bowl under the coin and then replace. Bobs your Uncle and Fannies your Aunt and start over again. The holes should be the size of a regular shirt button hole (i.e) small. See illustrations on my blog.

Reactions: OzPiper

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Gently remove the coin. You should gently scrape around the bowl before doing this and then use a cork screw threaded into one of the holes to pull the coin out. Clean the bowl under the coin and then replace. Bobs your Uncle and Fannies your Aunt and start over again. The holes should be the size of a regular shirt button hole (i.e) small. See illustrations on my blog.
ok thanks,the holes i made were with a 3mm drill,maybe I need to get a smaller one and drill another coin.
i tried gently one of the falcon xtra thin cleaners and it passes hardly touching the sides.Is the problem with the regular ones that they grab because they are too thick or is it to do with the roughness compared with chanile craft ones.
Sorry for so many questions,these meers are new to me and i love them but dont want to damage them.I have been careful with my amber stemmed briar but was not aware of the cleaner issue

Status
Not open for further replies.