PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am hoping the same,I have smoked 5 bowls yesterday and 5 today so far since I got it.As the bowl is tiny it probably is the equivalent of 1 of yours
I do lean towards the larger chambers. The pipe itself isn't very big, but it does have a 50.8mm deep chamber. Here's an up to the moment photo.

20210526_134908.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Older meerschaums tend to color since the material is harder and seems markedly different from the stuff used today. Ramazon at Meerschaum Depot who borrowed pipes from me to copy so he could launch a line of 'cutty' pipes under my name said the 19th century meerschaum seemed a lot harder than the material used in todays pipes. Funnily enough he sells the damn things under my name. I guess I should trade marked myself but he is very good friend and we all need every advantage we can get in these tough economic times. Perhaps the should be marketed them under the 'Condor Curmudgeon' label. rotf

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Surprised me how quickly they can color. I assumed it would take years but all it takes is regular smoking.?
From what I can gather, you have been smoking that pipe at least 5 times a day since you got it 3 months ago.
I would probably struggle to manage 2 bowls per week with a new meer, so by my calculations it would take me more than 3 years to achieve the same result.
I read that in the past, some meer collectors would hire people to smoke their pipes continuously to achieve the desired colouration/patina quickly :)

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Another question for @condorlover1 ,@weezell
the stem on the meer is underclocked so I thought I would do the paper ring trick.I tried to remove the stem but it is stuck.It was fine when I gently assembled it 15 smokes ago.
Is it better to leave well alone or is there a trick to loosening it.Heating,cooling,lubricating the join ?
I havent tried too hard as I dont want to break things but it does bug me it not straight

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Ouch! Gently try it whilst warm holding the stem where it joins the shank otherwise disaster will befall you.
is it worth me warming it with steam from a kettle,i am thinking maybe it will penetrate the join a little.
If it doesnt free easily it will have to stay as it is.The threads were clean and screwed together easily,I can believe it is gummed with tar

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
is it worth me warming it with steam from a kettle,i am thinking maybe it will penetrate the join a little.
If it doesnt free easily it will have to stay as it is.The threads were clean and screwed together easily,I can believe it is gummed with tar
Smoke it and then whilst it is hot gently try unscrewing the stem by gripping the shank and the top of the stem.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
well I tried to unscrew the stem whilst the pipe was warm and it cracked the amber right across the threaded area.Chipping a section off.I was being so gentle too.
I will have to send it to get a new acrylic stem made or maybe a repair band on the existing stem if thats possible.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
No wonder. Should have removed the stem and tenon from the shank.
I wasnt aware that was an option as when the pipe arrived it was seperated with the tenon fixed to the stem.I thought this was normal for meerschaums and it appears very well fixed to the shank.
In fact my other meerschaum is the same

the broken one
0.jpg

my other one
s-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

• Love
Reactions: burleyboy
Status
Not open for further replies.