PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have just bought an old cutty and wonder what the thoughts are on using the old fashioned coin/plug in the bottom is.
The bowl is small but an old silver UK 3 pence coin can be filed down to fit.
I know not to keep removing the stem but wonder if I use a coin will the space below get filled with ash and if so how to remove the ash.
If no coin is there a problem with the draft hole getting blocked with stray tobacco?

@weezell @condorlover1 @ashdigger
s-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpg

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Is the problem that the meer bottom is worn at the bottom making the draft hole high entering the bowl? If that is the case then you could mix some plaster of paris to fill the bottom in.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Why not smoke it as intended and clean when required. Why do you want to stuff anything other than tobacco into the bowl? IF the blend blocks the hole ... use a pick or dump and reload.
it was only because I had read that these cutty pipes can get blocked and was looking to avoid it if possible.
it seemed to be a thing that was used in the old days and I assumed that there was/is a reason

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Run a pipe cleaner though it.
I think I will try it without anything and see how it goes.
@chasing I have a question
I remember you saying you wipe the bowl with a baby wipe after each smoke.Do you do it as soon as the pipe has cooled and you have dumped the ash or leave the tobacco in the bowl overnight and dump/wipe the next day?
you appear to be getting good colouring so must be doing the right thing

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I remember you saying you wipe the bowl with a baby wipe after each smoke.
I used to, but started to think the extra moisture may dilute the particles causing the coloring. Now I just use a dry paper towel.

smoke.Do you do it as soon as the pipe has cooled and you have dumped the ash or leave the tobacco in the bowl overnight and dump/wipe the next day?
you appear to be getting good colouring so must be doing the right thing
I've been smoking the same pipe five times per day since early April and don't clean it until just prior to the next smoke. I also ream the chamber daily with sandpaper.

20210515_082718.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I would love the old world charm of a coin. I’ve had success using the meerschaum filter that goes in the chamber much like philt pads - supply of these shouldn’t be an issue in UK

Reactions: paulfg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I’ve had success using the meerschaum filter that goes in the chamber much like philt pads - supply of these shouldn’t be an issue in UK
That is the route I take. Promotes coloring like this...
xIiIBTT.jpg

qK64tbI.jpg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
That is the route I take. Promotes coloring like this...
xIiIBTT.jpg

qK64tbI.jpg
thanks,how often do you change them?
can they be cut down,the chamber in the pipe is 16mm at the top and at the heel much smaller.i will need to order from the UK as I cant find them here in Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.