PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
While not life or death - much more important than that - I find that any and all local supply of Pusser’s Admiralty Blend rum has dried up. Because I am not into delayed gratification when it comes to my tot of rum I ask this (because the crew here seems to know odd bits of information that boggle the mind).

What is a decent substitute? Preferably a bit traditional from molasses. Pyrate is good, but it is becoming harder to find as well.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Thank you. I do have a bottle on it's way, but prefer to buy locally. I am familiar with many of the "Navy"rums, but normally it just means they have upped the alcohol. P.A.B. (Pusser's Admiralty Blend) is not the best rum out there, but very traditional as I believe it is the same rum passed out to sailors until....what...1970. I have just become used to the taste.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Smith and Cross is an excellent, high-proof 'true old Jamaican' pot-still rum. Has that great old-school ' rum funk' taste inherent of the old, traditional high-proof 'Navy' Jamaican blends. Popular with the mix-ology crowd, so typically available at most decent rum selection outlets. Certain Pusser's blends have walked back ABV's over time*....Smith and Cross may be hotter than you are used if you take rum neat, but for the price worth a try if you're looking for an 'old school' rum-funk flavor.

*- mid-50% + was often the true Navy-distributed ABV.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I shall try it if I can find it. Yes, any more I drink every thing neat. As I am only allowed one drink a day I go for taste. Except gin. Hendrik Gin and tonic. The exception.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
What I enjoy on the Smith and Cross is it's make-up of the Wedderburn and Plummer pot-still juice. Rather than just a higher-proof 'standard shelf' rum it's loaded with body/flavor. There are many quality sippin' rums out there today (I'm a fan of RL Seale's Foursquare line)......but true honest-to-goodness Jamaican style (classic Navy rum) can be in short supply due to its more aggressive taste profile compared to Dominican/Barbados/etc. rums. Privateer Navy Yard is good if it can be found....and truly for a standard ABV Jamican Appleton 12 Year is a great sipper that should be available for around $40 in most stores.

Reactions: saintpeter
Status
Not open for further replies.