PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have just bought this Charatan's Distinction pipe and it has EX in a box marked on the shank.I have never seen this before does any one know what it means .Im looking at you Ken Barnes in particular.
s-l1600-31-600x398.jpg

s-l1600-71-600x398.jpg

s-l1600-23-600x398.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
https://www.alpascia.com/moments/en/detail/81/charatan-pipes
Dunhill put X's on the pipes during their tenure. But, I've never seen an X in that style, in that position.

I'll stay tuned to find out the rest of the story.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Indeed Al I have read of XXX through the Charatan make stamping but never read/seen this one before.Hopefully Ken or some one in the know will chime in.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I thought I read that a single "X" was used on the higher grades to void the warranty after Dunhill sold off the remaining stock after they bought Charatan. I didn't know the Distinction line was in that category. The xxxx was used on the lower grades. I have a "Rough" model with the xxxx through the Charatan name.
Mike S.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I have never seen this kind of stamping on a Charatan.

The pipe looks like a late 1970s example. I left Charatan in 1977 after the Dunhill sales staff had 'moved in' and I don't know what happened after that really. Is this Cp slightly larger than the earlier one? That would probably date the pipe better. I am pretty sure that the bend on the DC mouthpiece was made by Leslie Rand, who was in charge of the bending when I worked there. The bend is slightly more 'hooky' than the more graceful'curve' that Barry Jones would form.

I wish I could be more helpful.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
It appears as if the “X” was stamped after the fact. It seems to be much bolder and deeper than the other stampings. Also, I’m not seeing an “EX” but just a bold X inside the box.
Is there anything wrong with the pipe that would make it a second or a reject?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
panhandler you are correct it is X I mistakenly typed ex (meant to type "an X") and then the edit time timed out before I realised I had made a mistake.

I dont yet have the pipe in my hands but from the photographs I cant see anything to make it a second
Ken

thanks for your input.Interestingly there doesnt appear from the photos to be any stamping on the right side of the shank showing hand made in the city of london or a version of that.I dont know if this was dropped in later years as you suggest a late 1970s date

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
A couple more Charatan's added to the stable one a distinction

s-l16003-150x99.jpg

s-l1600-81-150x99.jpg

and this wonderfully blasted freehand relief

s-l1600-52-150x99.jpg

s-l1600-8-150x99.jpg

sorry cant work out how to enlarge the picture perhaps admin can do it, thanks

Status