PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
So, I get an email from a lady whose husband had passed away. He had about a dozen Charatan's Make pipes in his collection that she said were in good, clean condition but she didn't know anything about pipes and wanted to go the consignment route rather than sell them herself on eBay. I asked her to send me a list of the nomenclature on each pipe. Most were EXECUTIVE grades and a few were SELECTED grades and one was a SUPREME. I told her to please send them to me and I would send back any that I could not sell.

I received the pipes yesterday and the stems looked weird as they all seemed to have a kind of matte black finish. She had a note in the box saying that she cleaned the bowls with Pledge and that since the stems had all "faded" she used black Magic Marker to make them black again and not to worry because she used the "Permanent" kind of Magic Marker. (insert sigh here.)

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Not know how bad this is from a damage pov....can this marker be wiped off with alcohol? Or is sanding, refinishing in order?

Well, I'd have to write in the item descriptions that "this pipe had a protective stem coating of Magic Marker removed." Not sure how well that'd go over. And yes, I can assure everyone that the outer bowls were wiped down with Lemon Pledge because when I opened the box the smell had me bucking backwards. The box interior was shiny and dust free though.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Well, I'd have to write in the item descriptions that "this pipe had a protective stem coating of Magic Marker removed." Not sure how well that'd go over. And yes, I can assure everyone that the outer bowls were wiped down with Lemon Pledge because when I opened the box the smell had me bucking backwards. The box interior was shiny and dust free though.

Just trying to think on the sunny side. That sucks for these pipes. Did you break the news to her about the loss of value?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
rotf

Her heart was in the right place (I think? For all we know she fed him to her tigers) but damn! Even the slightest amount of research....hahaha.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The truth is that no one really knows what life our estate pipes had before they arrived in our hands. Lemon pledge might be the least of your concerns!

The magic marker though, that's a new one. Al and Don didn't teach me that trick!

• Haha
Reactions: aquadoc

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Just trying to think on the sunny side. That sucks for these pipes. Did you break the news to her about the loss of value?

No, I just wrote her a nice note (in the box with the pipes as I sent them all back today), saying that unfortunately, Magic Marker on stems is an add-on cosmetic feature, and that my customers prefer pipes in factory condition only. I hated doing that but otherwise, any of you guys who read this thread would never again buy a Charatan's Make pipe from my eBay site... and I wouldn't blame you!

Status
Not open for further replies.