A Portrait of a Man Being Bit by a Dog...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
0303211526.jpgSo I managed to get my hands on a pouch of one of the old time classic tobaccos I have yet to try today, Grainger! Got home rather excited to try it, opened the pouch, and packed about 2/3 of a bowl, went outside and sat down for nice relaxing smoke. About halfway through getting it lit, there was a sharp line for half a second straight across the front of my tongue, quick, like someone grazed it with hot soldering iron. I managed to get it lit, and tried cautiously puffing on it for a few minutes with very gentle draws to try, and get some flavor out of it. What I did taste was pleasant, but every now and then a slight nip of the tongue would return. Rather than just scorch myself pretending have a good time I scraped it out, had a drink, and repacked with some PS83 Amsterdam. Then actually sat down to a relaxing smoke. The remainder of the pouch is sitting wide open on my kitchen table letting the tobacco get some air on it. I will try again in a day or 2, but if the experience is the same I will write this stuff for good. Would make a great gift for someone whose mouth is made of asbestos...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
View attachment 68949So I managed to get my hands on a pouch of one of the old time classic tobaccos I have yet to try today, Grainger! Got home rather excited to try it, opened the pouch, and packed about 2/3 of a bowl, went outside and sat down for nice relaxing smoke. About halfway through getting it lit, there was a sharp line for half a second straight across the front of my tongue, quick, like someone grazed it with hot soldering iron. I managed to get it lit, and tried cautiously puffing on it for a few minutes with very gentle draws to try, and get some flavor out of it. What I did taste was pleasant, but every now and then a slight nip of the tongue would return. Rather than just scorch myself pretending have a good time I scraped it out, had a drink, and repacked with some PS83 Amsterdam. Then actually sat down to a relaxing smoke. The remainder of the pouch is sitting wide open on my kitchen table letting the tobacco get some air on it. I will try again in a day or 2, but if the experience is the same I will write this stuff for good. Would make a great gift for someone whose mouth is made of asbestos...
They haven’t made pouches for years

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I have really tried to come to terms with Granger out of genuine respect for it’s many advocates, but it just doesn’t work for my palate. I get a crayon taste that won’t go away and the burleys seem weak. Dried or moist, packed loose or tight, it’s not speaking to me.
My go to out of the classics has been CH for years. I am always open to trying another to see if I can figure what made them such great, long lasting names. I have tried SWR, PA, Mix79, Captain Black of a couple different varieties, H&H, and others. Some I even smoked quite a lot of trying figure if I could learn to appreciate them more. As the availability gets less in my state, and opportunities fade to get some of the ones I have not gotten to yet I usually jump at the opportunity when it comes my way. "We" past a law recently banning the sales of menthol flavored tobacco sighting things about it being "for the children" etc. Unfortunately the way law reads is a ban on flavored tobacco. So it applies to skoal, copenhagen, menthol cigs, certain cigars, and yes, pipe tobacco with any variety of topping, casing and so on. Nothing that says you can't possess these items, just that the sale can't take place here.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
It's like a mouthful of tasty yellowjackets..
I love that descriptor too, Funk. Always meant to ask you.... are you referring to the newer?

Trying to remember whom else said they’ like granger and would smoke granger more if not for its, quote... “?”

Personally, I’ve not found a mellower tobacco. In fact, it doesn’t even trigger my mild asthma as most other blends do. It completely agrees with me. Ultra mild.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I love that descriptor too, Funk. Always meant to ask you.... are you referring to the newer?

Trying to remember whom else said they’ like granger and would smoke granger more if not for its, quote... “?”

Personally, I’ve not found a mellower tobacco. In fact, it doesn’t even trigger my mild asthma as most other blends do. It completely agrees with me. Ultra mild.

I believe what I smoked was the new stuff. I'm still working on a big bag @BROBS sent me a year or so ago. I find it mild.. but like other OTCs it can bite.