PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I had been thinking about building some wood stands for my pipes, but I then had a different idea and I like how it worked out so I thought I would share. Perhaps some of you are already doing something similar.

I bought a handgun case. It is light in weight, blocks light (and dust), offers very good protection for my pipes, and it makes it easy for travel.

image.jpg I plan to buy some more of these, they are fairly inexpensive. I really thought I wanted some kind of stands or racks, but I find this more convenient. I may still build a nice wood rack at some point, but this gets the job done cheaply and without any labor from me.

Reactions: hyperstar

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I actually have one just like that. Mine however is used for the pipes I'll never smoke, and don't know what to do with. At least they are safe until they get thrown away.

Reactions: Ryan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A gun case certainly makes a well-padded traveling case for pipes, although guns being one of the most coveted items to steal, I've always preferred an inexpensive nylon shaving kit for a few pipes and supplies, which makes it look like all the thief would get is my toothbrush and deodorant.

I think it would be an unusual thief who is after pipes, the rare pipe smoking kleptomaniac.

If a pipe is in rotation, an open rack, or at least a cabinet with some air flow, is probably better for keeping pipes dried out.

But in terms of preventing breakage, the gun case is perfect.

Reactions: Ryan

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
A gun case certainly makes a well-padded traveling case for pipes, although guns being one of the most coveted items to steal, I've always preferred an inexpensive nylon shaving kit for a few pipes and supplies, which makes it look like all the thief would get is my toothbrush and deodorant.

I think it would be an unusual thief who is after pipes, the rare pipe smoking kleptomaniac.

If a pipe is in rotation, an open rack, or at least a cabinet with some air flow, is probably better for keeping pipes dried out.

But in terms of preventing breakage, the gun case is perfect.
I wasn’t even thinking about the air flow and drying. I’m glad you pointed that out. Perhaps I will leave the pipes out for a couple of days after use so they can dry better.