A pipe smoking friend of a pipe smoking friend.....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
A pipe smoking friend in another state and I were chatting on the phone last night and he told me about a pipe friend of his (who I don't know) who was creating a pipe related web site. It seems this guy is some sort of whiz at doing web sites and my friend said he's had a peek at what's been done so far and, in his words, it looked "really sharp". I don't have much info about it other than he said collectors will be able to buy and sell on it. I know you can't promote a site on the forums so I wonder how they are going to get the word out. I am curious. Any of you heard about this?

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
A pipe smoking friend in another state and I were chatting on the phone last night and he told me about a pipe friend of his (who I don't know) who was creating a pipe related web site. It seems this guy is some sort of whiz at doing web sites and my friend said he's had a peek at what's been done so far and, in his words, it looked "really sharp". I don't have much info about it other than he said collectors will be able to buy and sell on it. I know you can't promote a site on the forums so I wonder how they are going to get the word out. I am curious. Any of you heard about this?
A couple of months ago I posted the above. I talked to that friend again a few days ago and asked him if he had any news about the new site he had mentioned. Today I got an email from him with 3 attachments. He said they are still working on it and don't want to give out much info, but they did send these 3 screen shots with the site name removed and some other data edited out, just so he could get an idea what it will be like. I don't know what you think, but to me it looks serious. Oh, yeah, he also said they plan to make it free membership and free ads. Wonder how that will work??? puffy

Imaj845ge1.jpg

Attachments

• AccountPage.jpg
    AccountPage.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 16

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Besides good moderation, another key is maintenance. A great web site is great for about six months, and then it needs tuning. Not everyone wants to babysit a site for the duration.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
It looks like a sell-your-stuff-for-a-fee type site that's dedicated to pipes and tobacco, as opposed to a social forum. He'll have to compete with ebay for the pipes but will have no real competition on the tobacco side, although I wonder about governmental and credit card company compliance issues for the tobacco sales. Good luck to him

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It's hard to promote a website. It's even harder to find your audience. I tried my own a while back, sexychunkyguy.com I thought I'd make some money stripping down to my boxers for lonely women, the more they give, the more I'd take off. Nothing. Zero. I got few hits and no "donations" (which was just more proof this whole "body positivity" movement only applies to women. Yeah, a woman can look like she belong in the main show at SeaWorld and we're all supposed to applaud and say how beautiful she is "living her best life" but if a guy does it, crickets). After some fiddling with the website I relaunched as covermeup.com. Turns out my wife was right, women are willing to pay to see me put my clothes on. Yeah, it was a bit of a blow to my self esteem but it covers the monthly car payment.