PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
We spent last week up at our house in the mile high pine forest of Idyllwild.
There has been a pile of poop on our deck in Idyllwild each time we go, I usually clean it up. This time, I decided to sit outside and see who was pooping. I sat down around 9:30 pm, Peter Stokkebye Bulls Eye Flake in Savinelli Venicia. Full moon. I was about 10 feet from the poop. After a while, I heard someone creeping up the path and going to the poop spot - a bobcat! He (or she) didn't notice me at first, but then he realized I was there and turned around and looked right into my eyes. We sat there for a minute and I finally said in my hi little voice "Hi kitty, how are you tonight." His eyes opened really wide and he slowly crept towards me. Then I got scared and in (my best Jewish inner voice) thought "Oy - 12 rabies shots in my stomach!" And I slowly got up and went one way and he went the other way....
He looked like about 30 pounds, a soft tan color and very proud. I sat outside the next night smoking, but he didn't show up.

Jul 12, 2011
pack'em a bowl of SG-1792 and watch him submit to the pipe-Gods...just finished my first "small" bowl of it after a big dinner in a MM-Country Gen...man this stuff is good...but could feel it's power in my toes

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Amazing story Pdmus. I love seeing wildlife up close and personal when they dont realize we're around. Nothing quite like peeping into their little world for a moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDoAn5purho&feature=related

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
So your house has a gen-yu-wine poop deck, you're the envy of sailors everywhere. The smoking lamp is lit. :rofl:

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
ah yes i too love those close peaceful encounters with wildlife. i really need to move back to colorado.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
Great story, I'm glad it didn't eat you, but I love those close wildlife encounters myself. We've run into a couple of bears, they even show up at my hospital every year!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great story, not many get a chance to even see a bobcat, much less that close (I never have).

Where is Idyllwild?
The closest we have encountered wildlife like that was at a small beach state park in Virginia (Sandbridge), just South of Virgina Beach. We were walking along the shore at night and the crabs were hatching and all over the beach, so many you were constantly stepping on them. No moon, it was pitch black. I heard other motions over the surf and clicked on our flashlight. There were a dozen foxes all around us, having themselves a late night crab feast. It was spooky when I clicked that light on, they all just froze, in a ring around us, some only several feet away. After a few seconds, they took off, but that spooked us some much, we beat feet back to the home we rented.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
That's a real beauty...imagine how high it could jump !!

bobcat.jpg

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Oy Veyismir! Must have been a "Yiddisha" Bobcat. A "Goyish" one (translation/non jewish) would never have understood! Happy smoking man, from one old tribe member to another!

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Hey mjtannen - Landsman! Yes, there is a large orthodox settlement of bobcats in Idyllwild. juozapas that is exactly what he looked like, at the most 10 feet away, walking towards me. The Marty Robbins song really says it, "Man walks among us.." the bobcat seemed to know that. I have seen them 2 other times, at a greater distance - maybe 100 feet, and both times they sat down and stared at me and then moseyed on. Just like a cat.
The poop is always in one spot on the deck and I have no idea why he chose this spot. We hope to move to Idyllwild full time in August. It is in the San Jacinto Mtns, about 2 hours east of Los Angeles. When you get off the freeway, you go up for 26 miles, to 6000 feet - not one stop light or stop sign. Slowly it becomes a pine forest as you go higher, it really is like another country. The village of Idyllwild is 3,300 people, we have had our house there for over 10 years and want to live in the forest full time. My business is music scoring, CDs and music licensing, all on the internet.
It takes about 2 1/2 from LA, it is a wonderful place to visit. Just be careful of the bobcats.....
My wife enjoys the view from across the street, the forest goes on for miles. There is a bench just out of view - MADE for pipe smoking...
pdmus
[/url][/img]
Me taking a lesson with Llelkyn, the well known flutist from the Gnome Village in the Forest.
pdmus
[/url][/img]

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Looks like we have three pipe landsmen here. We could start our very own congregation. Can anybody recommend a pipe smoking Rabbi? I need to try a bowl of Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard with Manischewitz Concord Grape wine.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
We are in business. That is a religious leader we could hang a bowl with. If I don't see you guys tomorrow....Good Shabbas!

Status
Not open for further replies.