PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe it's just me, but I'd be wary of pine flavoring. I'm good with strong non-flavored tobacco, but have had a bad experience or two with so-called holiday blends with non-tobacco flavorings meant to suggest holiday spirits -- cinnamon, pine, etc. Whatever the flavorings actually contain, they bite me like junkyard dogs. Maybe it's just me. Buy a small quantity and do a trial run; it may be great for you. On the other hand, if Latakia has a slight pine-reminiscent scent, that is really tobacco, I think that would be fine. I'm not a Lat hound, but I enjoy a number of Lat blends.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I'd be interested in this, too. I tried P&C Pine Grove and it's not pine flavored at all, despite what TR reviews say (probably the same people who claim to taste mushroom in Shortcut to Mushrooms - the power of suggestion). There some nice piney snuffs, though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You want to taste pine? Go to a pine tree in the late summer. Grab some dried pine needles and roll it in a brown paper bag and smoke it like a cigarette. You will taste pine. Yes me and a buddy did this when we were around 13-14 when we ran out of cigarettes. 1 drag and I was choking my guts out.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Blends like true bird's eye blends will occasionally deliver a burst of pine flavor. I assume that it's because those blends contain cross sections of the rib where more of the residual sap lies.
Russ

P

pipebuddy

Calumé, if you can find it....Has an evergreen topping, very interesting. Not sure it's made anymore.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
It's funny you should ask this. When I smoke St. Bruno I interpret part of the flavor as "sweet pine" and always have. I've never heard or seen anyway else mention this, so it might be my faulty receptors. I'm usually drinking some bourbon when I'm smoking SB, so that might have something to do with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my opinion Retsina is an acquired taste, and not one I wish to acquire. Oof. If you enjoy it, have at it. Yup, that pine resin all right.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Samuel Gawith Special Flake 1 & 7 are described has having a pine flavor among others. I have not smoked these and they are only available from synjeco

Status
Not open for further replies.