A Piece of Coal Turns into a Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Preferred Member
Apr 7, 2012
I recently came across a pipe that to be honest really liked the shape of but found the bit to be too thick for my liking. I never smoked it, I think I got about four bowls in it before I gave up on it and it went in a box. After a bunch of moves my skills have gotten better with a file and I know exactly what bit thickness I like, so out come the verniers and away I went with the file. A dozen or so bowls later it is finally breaking in nicely and I find it to be a great little pipe. It is a Julius Vesz Oxblood panel and not an expensive one as I recall from the early 90's. I might have paid $70.00 back then when most of his pipes where $300.00 plus. Anyone else ever rediscover a jewel after years of thinking it was a dog?

latbomber

Preferred Member
May 10, 2013
I have a old van roy estate pipe I bought for $11.It looks awesome but it had a terrible lakeland ghost in it and gurgled and was a terrible smoke. One day I sat down and took the bowl back down to almost bare wood, and removed a metal inner tube from the stem and bam! It's now my dedicated VA pipe and nothing else will make due during the summer.

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member
Oct 17, 2013
I found a blasted Canadian in a basket that was stamped " Captain Black" and figured it had something to do with the tobacco. I bought it for the shape and later found out it was a Orlik Bond St. pipe from the late seventies, early eighties.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Several pipes I have misunderstood and then come to revere. One or two Petersons took a while to break

in, then suddenly burst into bloom as fine smokers. A recent pipe I thought was drilled wrong, until I took

off the stem and discovered and removed (easily) a stinger. A while back, I was finally convinced to try a

really small pipe (Group 1) and discovered these are not toys or novelties but have good use for short smokes

and other purposes. A nice gift pipe looked like it had defective finish until I discovered it was just adhesive

from a price tag that had been removed. Once I got it buffed up, it turned out to be something of a beauty,

all the way from The Netherlands. This happens all the time. You don't always know a good thing when you

see it.

taerin

Preferred Member
May 22, 2012
They turn people into diamonds too now, kind of neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDCi04Hxfwk

Status
Not open for further replies.