PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Conveniently, 4Noggins has a 10% off sale ending tonight... Maybe not the same blends, but possibly some runners up to help take the sting out of it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'd learn how to only want the tobacco that 4noggins carries. By far they have the best record of getting
packages in undetected and have been doing that for what, at least 10 years?

As for your $800.00 tax bill, barbaric.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I wonder if some of the online retailers might set up a subsidiary with a less flaggable name for international sales.....and more no tracking!

Sorry for your hit and need to return.
Smoking pipes ships as Laudisi Enterprises already. The outside of the package has no indication that there are tobacco products inside in my experience.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
That’s quite a heavy tax.

Of course the potential is always there to be stuck with the tax, obviously they can’t inspect everything.

All the supposed schemes to avoid paying the tax are laughable. If it happens to get tagged those are the breaks. And at the end of the day those folks are just doing their jobs. And vendors are required to fill out the proper forms. It’s not some dark conspiracy to get somebody’s tobacco…

Jun 9, 2018
England
I know there are a lot of threads on the topic of import costs on tobacco but I wanted to share today's experience on an order that the postal worker brought to my door. I was so shocked I asked if I could take a picture of the Canadian import duty form and he let me. He was most sympathetic because he chews and he told me he once tried to order a few tins of 'chew', but returned them when he saw the duty. I purchased 2 50gr tins of Bengal Slices, 1 100gr tin of London Blend 1000, 2 50 gr tins of Erik Stockkebye, 4th generation 1882, and six packages of B.J. Long tapered pipe cleaners.
The postal employee said, "this is the most expensive duty form I have ever seen."
The duty bill I took a picture of today was $807.05. Over the past Covid19 shut downs etc. all of my tobacco orders made it under the radar. Anyway, this one got tagged by Canadian Customs. And no Pat, you don't go to jail if you get tagged, you don't get fined, you don't go to the electric chair, mostly the poor Postal worker bringing you the bad news shakes his head sadly and is sympathetic. Over $500.00 of this is Alberta tax. An online cigar store whom I was debating placing an order with; sent me a chart of the duty cost breakdown by province. Alberta was the most expensive, and BC was the second.
I didn't keep it. And before you rant at me for endangering all PEOPLE who order out of Canada and other global locations let me say that my email to the online provider was, "I am sorry I had to return this to you but the duty was overwhelmingly prohibitive." I do not want my money back. I accept my financial loss and if there are any restocking fees or cost incurred by you, the retailer I will pay them. Please do not stop shipping tobacco to Canada. I realize and accept the risk involved.
Lessons learned...again. Keep my orders small.
Here it is:
los7IF3.jpg
I've had some pretty gnarly taxes/duties when I've imported from the US to the UK but nothing as insane as that.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
You might be able to charge the gov with rape on that one.

On a more serious note, I have found ordering less than 40$ USD after shipping, regardless of weight normally gets ignored by Canadian Customs. so if your ordering from say SP, order like 28$ of tobacco, then about 9$-ish for the ride.
Ordered around 30 times like that now and haven't gotten hit yet. I used to get hit hard when ordering Cigars, made them almost the same price as just buying them here in the first place.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I wonder if some of the online retailers might set up a subsidiary with a less flaggable name for international sales.....and more no tracking!

Sorry for your hit and need to return.
Probably not... My contention is that they would like to keep their business licenses and not be charged with a federal offense.

You know, I guess they could put the tins and bulks inside some cheap lightweight sintered plastic yard art, like frogs and chicken statues... Ha ha... JK.

Seeing how if you search for anything pipe tobacco related, this forum comes up within the first ten responses, always... you know that if you just did a search for... wait, I'll just show you...

temp1.jpg
Here ya go... so talking about whatever it is that you want to do that may subvert Canadian law is probably seen by Canadian officials, soooo.... interpret that however you want.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I personally assess any packages for taxes that were not assessed fully and send a cheque to the CRA. I suggest you law abiding folks do the same.

I fully support our Great Leader Justinian in his quest to crush these vicious outlaws and smugglers.

(Now can we please stop talking about how to get around customs?)

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Small and try to get shipping with no tracking. Most of the stuff that gets tracked has to be scanned because it’s tracked. Small packets with no tracking get thru most of the time. Because of the volume that comes in from the US, they generally don’t bother with smaller items if it doesn’t need to be scanned by hand for tracking it just goes thru. But the only sight that offers no tracking is smokingpipes.com
Yup, I was going to say this too…. I heard on FB the “super saver” international option on Smokingpipes rarely gets dinged because of large volume, it only happened to me once…. And it’s cheap and FAST. I ordered 3 200g packs last Sunday and 2 came yesterday and one today, that is 7 and 8 business days, hardly a wait.

I think I’ll also stick with the 200g rule cause it’s working.

Status
Not open for further replies.