A Number of Pipes Came Through the Workshop this Weekend.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
This first one is a Tinder Box Meerschaum-lined number that, if you've been around pipes awhile, will know that it tends to come in a rather orangey shade (I wish I had taken a "before" photo). It's finish had some chips--I suspect it was varnished--but worse of all was the charring. After sanding it down for awhile, I realized I wasn't going to get beneath that burn. 20220709_172006221_iOS.jpg

Solution? Dye it with black leather dye!

20220711_212033812_iOS.jpg

It's near-twin came in later for just a clean-up. A Lorenzo Novara:

20220711_210114673_iOS.jpg

Next was this dainty Aero Genuine Bruyere #30. Very Art-deco. It might be described as a lady's pipe. I found it in a box of discarded pipes, and didn't think much of it as it was dirty and gray looking. A thorough clean-up revealed a sweet looking pipe:

20220710_020520439_iOS.jpg
I can barely fit my index finger into the bowl of this little gem. The matching metal work between the stem and the stinger is interesting.

The next one is a Swissmade. I don't know much about it. It got a complete refinish. The sides of the stem are slab-sided, and I find that it holds in the hand very nicely because of that.

20220711_205808644_iOS.jpg

Finally, this big bruiser got a lot of work. It has no markings whatsoever and is probably someone's reject. It looks Italian. I cleaned it and restored some color to it.

20220708_225705594_iOS.jpg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This first one is a Tinder Box Meerschaum-lined number that, if you've been around pipes awhile, will know that it tends to come in a rather orangey shade (I wish I had taken a "before" photo). It's finish had some chips--I suspect it was varnished--but worse of all was the charring. After sanding it down for awhile, I realized I wasn't going to get beneath that burn. View attachment 156331

Solution? Dye it with black leather dye!

View attachment 156333

It's near-twin came in later for just a clean-up. A Lorenzo Novara:

View attachment 156335

Next was this dainty Aero Genuine Bruyere #30. Very Art-deco. It might be described as a lady's pipe. I found it in a box of discarded pipes, and didn't think much of it as it was dirty and gray looking. A thorough clean-up revealed a sweet looking pipe:

View attachment 156336
I can barely fit my index finger into the bowl of this little gem. The matching metal work between the stem and the stinger is interesting.

The next one is a Swissmade. I don't know much about it. It got a complete refinish. The sides of the stem are slab-sided, and I find that it holds in the hand very nicely because of that.

View attachment 156337

Finally, this big bruiser got a lot of work. It has no markings whatsoever and is probably someone's reject. It looks Italian. I cleaned it and restored some color to it.

View attachment 156338
Great job ! The last one does say Italy on the shank ... any other markings or design ? Maybe a Castello ?

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Great job ! The last one does say Italy on the shank ... any other markings or design ? Maybe a Castello ?
I had to check it. Where did it say Italy? Oh there! There's a scratch--hardly a fill--in the "name plate" area of the stem. No other markings that I can find.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I had to check it. Where did it say Italy? Oh there! There's a scratch--hardly a fill--in the "name plate" area of the stem. No other markings that I can find.
The one you describe as a big bruiser on the Quadrille mat ... if you open that photo in a new tab and expand it quite a bit it seems to be stamped Italy on shank just under stem. Its not in the nameplate area but perpendicular to it along the shank ring. Looks like a great pipe ! Now I am wondering ,,, looked again and the A , L, are clearly visible followed by a 7 or Y. The first letter is either H or I, T or I,I so I don't know. I'm going by your picture at max expansion per my old laptop. Sorry if I am wrong ! But it looked like ITALY to me.
The 3 line of the quadrille points directly to what I am talking about (???).

Last edited:

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
The one you describe as a big bruiser on the Quadrille mat ... if you open that photo in a new tab and expand it quite a bit it seems to be stamped Italy on shank just under stem. Its not in the nameplate area but perpendicular to it along the shank ring. Looks like a great pipe ! Now I am wondering ,,, looked again and the A , L, are clearly visible followed by a 7 or Y. The first letter is either H or I, T or I,I so I don't know. I'm going by your picture at max expansion per my old laptop. Sorry if I am wrong ! But it looked like ITALY to me.
The 3 line of the quadrille points directly to what I am talking about (???).
Definitely says ITALY. Wow, I had overlooked it while working on it. That reminds me to be careful. I hate overlooking a stamping on a stem that's covered in grime and I hit it with sandpaper before I know it's there. Same with the briar.

Reactions: Hillcrest