PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
It's almost ten o' clock, here in New England, the frost has crept away from the window pane, and I'm about to re-light my morning pipe for the second time. My pipe has gone out, and no, dear friends, I seek not your esteemed advice on this so seemingly dire a predicament! My pipe has gone out! My pipe has gone out! Long will it lie there, unnoticed and alone. I carry no qualms about letting that pipe get lonely, neglected and dejected, yearning for the match, there on the side table. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder", etc.
But I digress. Do I? No, that's right... I never had a point to begin with. So here it is:
I'm wondering, and would like to ask all of you fine folks, what is your morning pipe? I'm not really seeking any advice, just bored of my own thoughts, and feel like it would be both distracting and productive to read some thoughts and opinions from some outside spheres of experience.
I've been switching around a lot as of late, trying to work out my weird morning taste. I know exactly what I enjoy in the evening, precisely what I require in the noon-time, but the perfect morning blend is still elusive enough to lead me on this wild goose chase of a topic that may or may not have been thoroughly exhausted, long before my time here. Having briefly glanced through the extreme minimum of recent posts in a feigned sense of consideration, I've decided to go ahead and slip my moorings, never mind the maneuvers.
P.S.

Today I've begun with a mix of three blends, which shows how confused I am getting on this. Again, I'm not so much as seeking help in finding my perfect blend, just wondering what others have found to be their own morning smoke of choice. I'm distracting myself from the predicament, while actually still definitely thinking about it.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I can't say that I've settled into a usual morning favorite but since you asked, I can say that this morning's bowl of Royal Yacht with my coffee was very very satisfying. It might be a more common pick - while it lasts that is.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
On second thought, (which so often are the best thoughts), I'm not going to treat this matter as a question at all, still less as a problem. In a world of so very many choices, with the opportunities of trying new and exciting options each morning, what could possibly be a problem?
I find now that i'm thoroughly satisfied with my morning pipe, today's, tomorrow's, and all pipes for all time. Phew! I almost lost myself there in a fruitless web of wondering!
That said, I'd still love to hear about all y'all's morning's, your pipes, your pipe-dreams, your rituals, your sacrifices. I'd like to think of this, and any other thread I start, as being quite open ended in nature.
Also, please excuse my incessant ramblings. If ever it becomes a bore, simply look away from the screen or click the 'back' button on your web browser.

I smoke aromatics in the morning with my black non-flavored coffee, usually a vanilla. I typically don't smoke aromatics, but years ago, my daughters complained about going to school smelling like they were at an all night poker game or bar. So, I switched to aromatics to change the fragrance of my kids. Now, I just do it out of tradition. I wake up, and fire up a bowl of vanilla something-or-other, make coffee, cook breakfast for everyone in house, and then smoke more interesting things throughout the day. My family now associates aromatic tobacco aromas with breakfast.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
My morning smoke lately has been Red Raparee. Before that it was Tellegraph Hill. Before that it was Wessex Burley Slice. Before that it was Potlatch. Next week I'm sure it will be something else.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I smoke a different tobacco every morning. Mostly because my morning pipe is during my commute to work. If a day ever comes where I enjoy a morning pipe as part of a routine at home, I may find a favorite. But for now, it is what I am in the mood to smoke on my drive. Which changes daily or weekly.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Cosmic, you remind me of how I must make some room to explore my taste in the aromatic realm. I enjoyed your story of the morning tradition. The power of association is such an interesting phenomenon, as is tradition itself!
I still have yet to try Chelsea Morning, and a good deal of other G.L Pease blends. I've also been thinking of trying Red Rapparee, as my local B&M has it for a pretty decent price. I actually haven't had anything of Rattray's, but have always been interested. When I first smoked a pipe it was always just the non-aromatic bulk blends from my local store, probably either Lane or Stokkebye, but I have no idea, really. I had a closed mind, simple tastes, and a short budget. Then I had almost a decade away from the pipe before beginning again last year. Since then I've been branching out to try more tinned blends, and have a lot that I still look forward to trying for the first time.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I usually smoke blends in the morning that are heavy with nicotine, like 5 Brothers, to get my heart started. Milder blends are reserved for nighttime because nicotine heavy blends keep me up at night and I have difficulty falling asleep.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
No pattern here. Today it's GL Pease Westminster.
jay-roger.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I haven't developed a routine, but I tend to go for virginias or va/pers in the morning. I could never start the day with Royal Yacht. To be more precise, I won't do it again!

FVF, St James Flake, Capstan Blue, BBF, something like that. It needs to be virginia forward.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
growing up in nyc, morning smoke meant couple of marlboro red. now, i'm old enough to know what chest pain is, that's just an old memory. would love to have a bowl of pipe. but too much to wish for. up at 0430 to work, and can't find 30 minutes for quiet moment to myself. but lunch hour is around 1100. on occasions, i would load up my pipe for a leisurely break. lately finding dunhill navy rolls to my liking. again, too much to wish for. a jar of two months old, and two tins are all i have.

Sep 18, 2015
First bowl of the day is almost always a Lat blend of some sort, occasionally I’ll change it up and go with a Burley or Vabur.

Status
Not open for further replies.