PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
One of my favorite shapes to make is the Author. I wanted to switch things up a little with this one and see if I could end up with a smaller, lighter Author in Morta- Trimmed the length, thinned out the cheeks and the final result is 4.5" long, 3/4" tobacco chamber 1.15" deep and coming in at 48 grams on the weight. The stem is from a very unusual SEM rod stock I found in Chicago last year- really like the colors of this one.
ncoa2w.jpg

152j1b7.jpg

k3awzk.jpg

6ixrg3.jpg

2rcsygh.jpg

9h15sg.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Aesthetically I prefer a tapered stem over a saddle, but my teeth prefer the saddle. I wouldn't get along with the stem on this pipe, though as usual the work is fine. Tapered stems that have enough length for a more gradual taper work for me, but when they narrow quickly as in this pipe they don't, yet everything in the design is perfectly proportioned. Just me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The author shape is one that never appealed to me, but I love how the stem on that one just seems to organically flow from the stummel. Nice tight blast work on the morta, and Al nailed it, great stem color and button work. You knocked that one out of the park! :clap:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys! I wish I had more of that particular rod stock... it is very unusual...there's nothing I like better than the German SEM material...
...and I think for the next pipe, I might do a squat bulldog with some other interesting rod stock...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know if I'd have the heart to carry this one in a jacket pocket or traveling, but the shape is durable and compact. What a beauty. That stem is spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.