PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclekent

Lurker
Jan 9, 2019
Fellow smokers!
As we all mourn the discontinuation of the blends greatly admired by many, much has been spoken upon the possible replacements for the most iconic Dunhill mixtures. Whilst those discussions have mainly focused on taste and flavour, I still wonder which English blend might be a descent replacement for Dunhill's Nightcap in regard to nic-hit? I do really appreciate GLP Odyssey (however shallow it may seem once compared to Nightcap), but, Lord, it is way too low in nicotine for me. Some guys suggested C&D Bayou Night, but I really can't appreciate that sweetness.
Any suggestions, lads?

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Rattray's Black Mallory if you can score some. It might even be more nic heavy then Nightcap in my opinion. Its a great replacement blend to try.

I am one that really doesn't find Nightcap to be all that strong... but, if you'd like some suggestions for strong blends, I can do that. Google Cotton Boll Twist, Dark Flake unscented, Sliced Black XX, D&R Picayune, but I have yet to experience an English that really has much of a noticeable kick.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I agree with Cosmic. Not much to add, but I will say that if you are looking for ribbon/shag cut English blends, like Night Cap, then you will be hard pressed to find something "stronger". However, if you like Latakia in general and want nicotine as well as a well balanced blend, try and score some Sillem's Commodore Flake (Hint, you will have to fight me for it 8) ).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
C&D Billy Budd and Engine 99 are both pretty strong as far as Lats go but like Cosmic I never found Nightcap to be strong. I would say the two I mentioned are stronger and better imo. If you’re after sweetness than let me suggest my absolute favorite English blend, Sam Gawith’s Skiff Mixture.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Black Mallory, if my memory serves me right, doesn't have the sweetness and breadth of flavors Nightcap has. I remember it as latakia with a malty body, but very stout and yes, with some nicotine. Maybe on a par with Nightcap nic-wise.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Your profile picture is epic, unclekent! It reminds me of an old school law firm. I wish that I could smoke in my office, and am determined that one day I will, accompanied by a dram of scotch or bourbon on the occasions that I am working late.
No recommendations here on anything nicotine-related. As a former cigarette smoker, all pipe tobacco nicotine feels weak to me since I'm not inhaling. I will say that as a Nightcap fan, I really like the bulk blend Balkan Supreme, as well as G.L. Pease Westminster. They are both good serviceable English blends. Westminster is excellent, though perhaps a little light for your tastes.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I don't know if it is available in the U.S. but Charatan Eventide is marketed as being similar to Nightcap. I have not tried it so cannot comment from personal experience, but the chaps over here have so far found the Charatan tobaccos to be a fair replacement of the Dunhill blends. The jury is still out though as Charatan tobaccos have not been on the market long enough.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Although not similar to Nightcap but it fits the mold and is stronger. You won’t find the orientals. Try C&D Montfort Point Marine.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Thanks for the info Perdurabo. I'll acquire some in the near future and give it a go.
Thought you would be more of a Perique & Rum man!
:D

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
“Thought you would be more of a Perique & Rum man!”
Yea, I like the old Rumper occasionally, C&D The Beast is a close second.
The MPM has a nice dose of perique :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're just going for nicotine, brown rope is supposed to be dependably extra high, with black rope close behind. To suit your own taste, you may just want to shop for full strength blends that have constituent tobaccos you like, then sample small quantities to see if they affect you that way. Five Brothers, the good old shag burley, is a dependably high nic leaf, by itself or to boost blends. Nicotine is fine, but I like to balance the rotation. Some mild blends have a lot to offer too.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
Artisan's Blend. Same strength and the same flavor profile -- maybe a tad sweeter.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not sure about the nic hit but as far as flavor, I would think you should try Artisan’s Blend for sure. I’d also recommend C&D Pirate Kake. I think what you really like is the Latakia and both have plenty to offer. Artisan’s Blend is more complex and not a lat bomb but a fantastic blend. Pirate Kake is a lat bomb but the Oriental Leaf adds a nice spiciness. Both very good tobaccos.

unclekent

Lurker
Jan 9, 2019
Thank you, lads, for all your amazing advice! Every blend suggested has entered my 'must try' list.
The C&D's Montford Point turned out to be the easiest to obtain and I hope it would make a nice starting point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.