Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Preferred Member
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Considering I didn't know if Balkans/Lataki blends were my thing, I bought a fair number of the things to try. Fortunately, I quite like them and this is my favorite yet.
Squadron Leader goes light on the Latakia, much heavier on the Virgina. I'm getting a mild smoke in the mouth, a tiny bit of bite that is likely from puffing too hard. Snork is leathery, a little spicy, and generally nice. Some hay floating around with the floral flavor of the Latakia, which is a nice backup player in the blend. It pulls forward toward the middle of the bowl, but is still not terribly strong. Love this blend, a wonderful smoke.

dottiewarden

Preferred Member
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Sounds like one I would like. My current favorite English is London Mixture and one of the things I like most about it is that the Lat is used as a spice rather than the dominant flavor. Thanks for reminding me to get this "best seller" back up on the "must try" list.

hmhaines

Preferred Member
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Definitely get some. Perhaps a More refined palate will find more or less to desire, but it is worth a try either way!

ashdigger

Preferred Member
Jul 30, 2016
Excellent take on SL. I really like the spice of the orientals. Its well represented both in bulk and tin in my cellar.

hmhaines

Preferred Member
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I definitely prefer Perique right now, but I have greatly enjoyed the oriental thus far. I wish SL came in bulk!

shutterbugg

Preferred Member
Nov 18, 2013
My current favorite English is London Mixture and one of the things I like most about it is that the Lat is used as a spice rather than the dominant flavor.
Try a tin of Dunhill's The Aperitif, I think you'll like it even better than London Mixture. I was a My Mixture 965 fan, which is a "Scottish blend" and brown uncased cavendish, more oriental and less Lakakia than London. From there I tried Aperitif, which is quite similar but with less Latakia, and the overall result is a smoother blend. I thought it would underwhelm me, but to my surprise I like it better than MM965. You can still taste and smell the Latakia but it's more of a team-player than either a spice or a dominant.

deathmetal

Preferred Member
Jul 21, 2015
Squadron Leader goes light on the Latakia, much heavier on the Virgina.
This is a smart mixture. Virginia is an eternal taste; Latakia a too-strong taste that overwhelms itself. They refined the English to the point where it is pleasant. Compare to: Presbyterian, Early Morning Pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.