PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
In my quest to understand the tobacco blends I'll be smoking, I've started my piping endeavors by trying out a fair number of blending tobaccos. How best can you understand Latakia if not by filling a bowl of straight Latakia?
Izmir Turkish was something of an impulse buy, I added it to my purchase not because of the frequency with which it appears in blends, but instead because of the existing reviews I had read. The one common theme: this is an exotic smoke.
My palate is neither nuanced nor refined, so understand that I am only able to offer a blunt description of this tobacco. I found it to be soft, with a mild spice and a waivering flavor that seemed to straddle some new line between cedar and pine. As a solo-smoke, this was excellent and I plan to enjoy it virgin quite often. However, being a cigar man in love with cedar, and being quite interested in making my own blends, I'm excited to throw this together with a few of the other tobaccos that are in my cabinet. Perique comes to mind. We'll see.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I've done the same. Got a mild white pepper spice.

Did you get any numbness on your tongue?

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Try Mcclelland Classic Samsun,

It's a very pleasant experience.

It's what I used to transition from aromatics to the real stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a pleasant mild smoke by itself and lends a nice secondary note to other mixtures and blends. It can pep up English blends that have lost their Lat edge.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It's what I used to transition from aromatics to the real stuff."
Kanse, those are bravely spoken words but words I can really understand. Some aromatics that I have had the displeasure of smoking had no tobacco flavours whatsoever which begs the question of why are they smoked in the first place.
Certain aromatics I have no problem with such as Peterson's University Flake, Irish Oak etc but their Deluxe Mixture is an abomination of chemical flavourings hiding any tobacco flavours that might be in there.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.