Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Macedonian tobacco... That intrigued me. Hadn't seen that on any of the other baccy I ordered.
First and foremost, this is clearly a Latakia blend. The clean floral flavor is the foundation here, as well as the framing, flooring, and roof. Not too strong though, it melds nicely with the Virginias, and I'm liking whatever the Macedonian does. There are swaths of leather, a bit of cedar/pine, and some far off flavor I can't identify.
In some ways, I feel as though I'm smoking incense, but that's something of a trademark for Latakia.
Enjoyed, will enjoy again.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Next time I have some, I'll add more and try to convince you. This was a good buy, man.

Jun 27, 2016
This stuff had a unique sweet-tart flavor that I liked, but eventually I started getting a weird metallic after-taste like ozone or licking a 9v battery which killed it for me. If that does not happen to you, or if it does and you like it, then it's one of the best tinned values out there.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Great review. It's been fun reading your impressions, as a newbie, of different blends. Takes me back to my first couple of months with the pipe.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Glad you're enjoying it! Wanted to contribute something for the other Newbies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm quite fond of Balkan Sasieni - I have smoked a pretty fair amount of it, over the years. This is a classic Balkan, in the sense the old Balkan Sobranie Original was. I'd take it over the current version of Balkan Sobranie any day.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
That's why I bought it! After reading about a few Balkans, is seemed to be the way to go. Glad I picked it up.

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I like the Sasieni a little better than the Sobranie.

Also I prefer my blends with Lat in them to have a bit of age on them, at least most of them, something like Pirate Kake it doesn't matter to me.
It has been a while since I smoked Balkan Sasieni but I cellared a few tins more of this than the Sobranie and at the time I remember the Sobranie was a bit easier to find than it is now.
There are a lot of similar blends out there but Balkan Sasieni is always available and the price is not bad so I am sure I'll continue to pick up a tin every now and then to have down the road.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I read about both, couldn't decide which to buy, but only Sasieni was available. Don't need another Balkan for a while, this is good enough for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.