PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Bear with me, Gentlemen, this here's a biggun'. We'll laugh, we'll cry--hell, we might even learn something. But mostly we'll just look at some pictures--lots and lots of pictures. You see, I happen to be a proud owner of a Sorringowl and Sons Signature Pipe and Tobacco Pouch. I've posted here before about my admiration for Frank's work, and I stand by that--its really one of the nicest things I own. I'd recommend him to anyone.
z6aMCrL.jpg

But lately I've realized that there's one part of my life where the Sorringowl pouch doesn't quite fit the bill. I'm an outdoorsy kind of guy, and I need a pipe pouch that matches that lifestyle. I had a pretty particular thing in mind going into this--so, naturally, I had to end up making it myself! And thus began my descent into the rabbit hole of leatherworking. Its been a remarkable journey (there's about a third of a cowhide sprawled across my kitchen table as we speak), but I hope you agree that the end product was worth it.
jIhFMtg.jpg

Ta-Da! Its been a labor of love, but I finally finished it. If you're familiar with the Sorringowl Pouch, you'll notice I took most of the design cues from Frank's work--its a thin, full-grained vegetable-tanned leather, hand-cut, -dyed, and -stitched, with a flannel lining for the two pockets, and nickel hardware.
tK8v45S.jpg

It holds all the essentials for a day out in the woods or a camping trip in the mountains, and I managed to cram it all into a significantly smaller package.
ZzGVAEN.jpg

And I do mean cram. This being my first project, I didn't quite realize how tight it would be when it was stitched together.
EQOiDUv.jpg

But if the pipe is right, everything fits fine. The pipe has its own slot, and the Zippo and Czech tool buddy up. Pipe cleaners can go with either. Tobacco rides in those teeny Ziplock bags in the upper pocket.
hkyf1u1.jpg

And in this picture you can see my other new acquisition--a Peterson Belgique (rusticated) that arrived from the U.K. this Morning. With a small bowl, similar to a Cutty, this will be perfect for that 20 minute smoke at the top of a Ridgeline, gazing over the country I've just hiked through.
uSGic9j.jpg

If we're being honest, the fishtail stem is a bit overbuilt for me, and it sort of disrupts the nice lines of the pipe. But that's a quibble. I packed it with some SWRA this afternoon, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I originally intended for this to be my VaPer pipe, but I've decided it will instead be my 'anything' pipe. My Virginia pipe will handle VaPer's fine enough for my palate.
zzvrCGM.jpg

Comparison--Stanwell De Luxe.
Qa8E4Ky.jpg

I tried to match the leather color. Its close enough.
MVgbe99.jpg

The Whole family.
jzy1Dii.jpg

The Belgique is a better fit than the Stanwell.
Hvh8xi8.jpg

As you can see, the design is rather more utilitarian on this pouch than on Frank's--which means its also a good deal less luxurious. But sitting around the campfire, it'll be a little slice of civilization.
GxYOP0C.jpg

8wxqxsg.jpg

ompULRH.jpg

5Wf4ATs.jpg

FZRi5lc.jpg

A nice little packing surface. The real test comes in August on my annual backpacking trip in the Rockies outside of Denver, which I'm sure you'll hear about! I must say, leatherworking is the most rewarding handicraft I've ever dabbled in. When I see some of you post pictures of your artisan briars, it makes me wish I had a woodworking shop--but this is something I can do pretty well with minimal tools (and very patient roommates).
And if anyone has actually read this far--well, thanks for your interest. I'm very proud of it! :D
-Josh

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I'm more than a little surprised that that posted without any problems!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well I for one read the whole post and must say you did a great job...well done!

Leather craft is something I have wanted to do for years but never got around to. All kinds of things I'd like to make being an outdoorsman myself. Knife sheaths, axe covers, holsters and the list goes on.

I've also got one of those Peterson Belgiques on my list of pipes to aquire. I really like the petite look of it and it would be a nice pipe for wifey to use when we smoke together as she usually wants a wee puff instead of a big bowl. :puffy:

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Thank you for the kind responses. :)
Sorringowl does very good work, ssjones! My initial instinct was to message Frank an idea of what I wanted and see if he could make it for me. I was dissuaded for two reasons--one, he's pretty well backed up on custom orders as it is (or was in December when I ordered my Christmas gift set)--and two, he has posted before that he is moving the shop away from custom-made and more toward in-stock and ready-to-ship so he can more easily keep up with demand.
jkrug, that sounds similar to my situation. To be honest, this wasn't actually my first project--my first was a simple fold-over sheath set up for scout-style carry for my Becker BK7 fixed-blade knife. I can't believe how much my stitching has improved between that sheath and this pouch just in the last week. Next up, when I get motivated to do it, will be a sheath for my SOG tomahawk.
As for the Belgique, its quite the little pipe. It actually burned longer than I anticipated (~25 minutes, I think). It does burn a little hot if you smoke too fast, but that's to be expected with a smaller pipe. I couldn't find it in-stock domestically, so I had it shipped from the U.K. (Smoke-King something or other, I think), and it was cheaper to order it there and have it shipped internationally than what it was priced at here. I think its gonna work great for when I'm out and about.
-Josh

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Hey Josh, I came back to this thread to look at your pics again, because I love what you did, but it takes several minutes for the thread to load up due to the size of your pictures. To make it easier for everyone to see your thread, next time reduce them in size a bit before attaching. I imagine many people gave up in short order and moved on when it wasn't loading fast enough for them. Great work tho brother!

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
That's an excellent suggestion, Monty, and I'll take it to heart. I have trouble loading it myself on my smartphone. Didn't even think of resizing the images, thanks.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"More skills than I'll ever have with it.."
Same here. Nice design/work. A lot of thought and excellent workmanship equals a great outdoor companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.