PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been lucky, so I can attest that Peterson can do a good pipe. Most of mine were bought six or eight years ago, before I heard many complaints. But the most recent one, an unfinished pipe, was about as low on the price scale as they come, and so far ... great. For factory pipes, the designs on Petes are charismatic, that hefty grace.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Very Nice ! Impressive !
I have five older 303 spigots which are my workhorses, all vulcanite fishtails, 3 stems are cumberland (not plastic cumberland)
Maybe there's hope for the greatest looking pipes on the planet....as I'm seriously hoping they make changes for the better.
Hmmm,--- but them I'd have to stop bashing them on every Peterson post that surfaces. Hmm.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
You know, I hate to be any kind of a wet blanket on a positive thread but my 2017 Christmas pipe (408 shape) developed a crack where the shank meets the bowl. I was smoking it one day and everything seemed fine to me but I took a close look at it and noticed some moisture seeping to the surface. This pipe was the first "nicer" pipe I purchased but to tell you the truth, I never got comfortable with the white stem. I thought about taking it back to the shop but I'd owned it for several months at this point and who knows, maybe I had screwed it up as a newbie. I don't think that was the case since I'd only smoked it maybe a dozen times, but who knows.
This hasn't turned me off to Petersons though because shit happens sometimes. I've even purchased another 408, one of the unfinished Petersons that P&C had a special on awhile back like mso mentioned. I like the shape, it's a comfy pipe and it smokes like a champ.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
that's awesome! i hope corporate hears ya. i'd hate for them to take all the other complaints seriously and do something about it. :P

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I snagged a Xmas18 01 Pete. Smokes like a charm. I love the bent pot look at it does not disappoint. I have a bunch of Petes and as far as I have smoked them, none are bad, off kilter, get hot, blow snot. None of those things. I love the pipe!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I talked with one of the higher ups at Smoking Pipes at the West Coast Pipe Show about the Peterson problems. He told me that was being strongly addressed and that those problems will be coming to an end.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
After getting finances hammered out over the past month and all my Christmas shopping finished, I went ahead and bought myself a Peterson 01 Christmas Pipe. I will be my first Peterson. These are such good looking pipes. Will report back once I receive and inspect it.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
am i the only one who thinks its so cool to buy an irish-made pipe? i smoked my Peterson at an xmas party last week and it was a real conversation starter!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Ashdigger, I'm curious whether yours passes a cleaner (if you've tried, not that passing a cleaner is important to everyone). You mentioned that yours is drilled perfectly, which I was hoping means that the draught hole is drilled in the center of the mortise, and lines up with the stem.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It'd be even cooler to visit the factory at Sallynoggin and shake the hands of the folks who made it— but, dang, it was closed when I was in Dublin, but the shop was a great visit.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
The Peterson 01 Christmas Pipe I ordered unfortunately does not pass a cleaner, as the draught hole is drilled at the very top of the mortise. I intend to send it back since the "cleaner test" is important to me. I went ahead and ordered a Peterson 87 shape Christmas Pipe. It's a straight acorn / apple so hopefully it should have no problem passing a cleaner.
On a related note, Mrs. Lawdawg bought me a Savinelli 321 author shape Christmas pipe. I did not especially like the Savs when I saw them in the advertisement since the green acrylic stem is a little extreme, but in person I like it a lot, and it's a very cheerful Christmas pipe. It smokes wonderfully, and I can see why there is a crowd that raves about the Sav 320. The 321 is the smaller cousin, and probably more to my preference in bowl size, but I'd like to try a 320 sometime too.

Status
Not open for further replies.