PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

a3zname

Lurker
Nov 12, 2019
Israel
Hey!
Lately im enjoying the comfort of the Oom paul shape as a clencher, and this on popped online so i grabbed it.
I am amazed at how light this pipe is, only 48 grams, with that bend its like clenching nothing.

I usualy do not like the acrylic as a stem material, but it realy makes little different, here anyway.
This is my first vergin pipe from castello, and i noticed it has a smell i havent detected on any other pipe, the smell is realy good!

here are some pics..

Have a wonderfull day youall

20200211_092743.jpg

1581406988945.png

Attachments

• 20200211_092654.jpg
    20200211_092654.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 8, 2013
Unstained and unwaxed pipes are... well, they're just plain fun to watch color. My favorite thing is to take a photo when they're new and unsmoked. Take another photo after the first smoke. You'll be amazed at just how much of a difference you'll see. Now sure it won't be much, but it will be noticeable. Next take another photo after 10 smokes and compare, and again at 20 and compare again, and so forth. Other than that, just enjoy smoking it. I've never purchased a Castello, but I hope to have one at some point this year (somewhere in the middle of all the other pipes I'll probably buy haha). I bet that turns out to be a great smoker. Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
If you want the pipe to color evenly I recommend that you handle the warm pipe by the stem. Even with clean hands the you'll uneven dark spots that will never clean up where you hold the pipe. ?

Sep 17, 2019
Hey!
Lately im enjoying the comfort of the Oom paul shape as a clencher, and this on popped online so i grabbed it.
I am amazed at how light this pipe is, only 48 grams, with that bend its like clenching nothing.

I usualy do not like the acrylic as a stem material, but it realy makes little different, here anyway.
This is my first vergin pipe from castello, and i noticed it has a smell i havent detected on any other pipe, the smell is realy good!

here are some pics..

Have a wonderfull day youall

View attachment 18979

View attachment 18981
I can appreciate the pipe and especially the finish but, the Oom Paul is not on my shape preference chart. I wish you all the best with your new briar. I have a few Castellos and a few others with the naked finish and I love watching them change shades of darkening.
Cheers
Pipe Collector 34 aka Java3

Reactions: a3zname and BROBS

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I've had a few Castello pipes that had an "incense" like smell early in their career. One 55 had such a pronounced smell that I was certain it had been stored in a cabinet at a "head-shop" with incense. But, I later realized it was just a particularly odorous example. The real question is, does this smell come from the wood, or something in the environment at the factory that gets into the wood while it is aging? It made me want to travel to the Castello factory just to sniff around.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I never could pull the trigger on an Oom-Paul, then my wife gave me one for Christmas a few years ago, and I was an instant convert. That U-turn bend makes it feel weightless, it's true, and many of them have an especially deep bowl. Unfinished (virgin/vergin) pipes are a great experience. My Oom-Paul wasn't unfinished, but I have four or five, and the really old ones look like walnut stain on briar, deep and resonant. To have all this in a Castello is pretty fine.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Brilliant looking Oom Paul. All of my Castellos are Vergin and it is an absolute joy to watch both of them colour. I will say that I never bothered to hold the pipe by the stem while smoking. To me, the dark spots that form underneath where your palm and fingers rest makes the pipe 'yours'. Sometimes you can actually make out the faint imprint of your hand across the shank and the bowl; it's delightful.

Reactions: a3zname
Status
Not open for further replies.