A New Castello Provides ZERO Taste... WTF!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
So I own a few Castello pipes, and they all have been beautiful smokes. I’m newer to the pipe club and not full of wisdom, but felt Castello was to be a superior pipe in term of smoking qualities.

So here’s my dilemma. I never smoked Black House before and was told to give it a try. I cracked a tin and smoked it in my Savinelli 606. I was blown away. Sweet, Smokey, tang, sour. This Tabasco has it all in my opinion. I almost purchased 5 more tins half way through my first bowl.

I decided to break in my Castello Collection I’ve been sitting on. She’s a beauty. A small little bent apple that looked too good to smoke. So I’ve had a few bowls of Black House in this pipe that I’ve paid too much for of course... about 4 times the cost of my Sav.

The pipe has muted the taste of Black House, almost to nothing. I can hardly taste any of the lovely notes I found in the Savinelli. The Sav was smoked for a year or so.

The bowls on both of these pipes are pretty similar.

Is there hope for this Castello?

Why would the taste be so muted?

Would you expect it to provide a better taste over time?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I’ll try some others blends in her but hoped to dedicate this pipe to Black House.

Would love your opinions on this matter, and any guidance is much appreciated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
a superior pipe in term of smoking qualities.
You just described every well drilled pipe, brand isn't going to affect anything but the cosmetic.

Is there hope for this Castello?
Yep, break it in.

Why would the taste be so muted?
You're only going to mostly taste the unsmoked briar for the first several smokes.

Would you expect it to provide a better taste over time?
Yep.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Yep, even worse with a new meerschaum and far worse with a new gourd calabash.

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
many thanks for the advice good sirs.... I appreciate the insights. what I find strange is my other Castello pipes provided beautiful smokes from day one.

g
I have a newer Castello that is drilled so wide open that it seems to affect the flavor. I tighten up the draw by packing the first pinch in tight then fill normally
great advice. will give it a try

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
many thanks good sirs. I'll post a pic during my next smoke.

my surprise of the muted taste is due to my other Castello pipes being beautiful smokes straight out of the gate. I will be patient with this one and try all your advice.

I've packed this pipe tight with Frog Morton, in hopes it will "season" with a bit of flavor.
Am I crazy to think this may work? I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this method to help with flavor.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I never smoked Black House before and was told to give it a try. I cracked a tin and smoked it in my Savinelli 606. I was blown away. Sweet, Smokey, tang, sour. This Tobacco has it all in my opinion. I almost purchased 5 more tins half way through my first bowl.
If no one has mentioned it to you yet, Sutliff's Balkan Sobranie 759 Match is the bulk of Black House.