SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
So, this gentleman who lives down the street from me is always telling me he smoked Prince Albert as a teenager, and always asks me if I heard of it. He’s nearly 90, it’s hard to call it a conversation as he mostly speaks at me, which is fine with me. Anyway, I saw him this morning and he said he finally found his pipe and asked me if I would smoke it, long story short:

AE333EBE-AE24-4049-95C2-2750545B51A9.jpeg46D877A2-1B61-4432-A21C-95E6E1BD2AC9.jpeg97FA6F82-16D6-4C9A-A14D-0BC2DE12B535.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So, this gentleman who lives down the street from me is always telling me he smoked Prince Albert as a teenager, and always asks me if I heard of it. He’s nearly 90, it’s hard to call it a conversation as he mostly speaks at me, which is fine with me. Anyway, I saw him this morning and he said he finally found his pipe and asked me if I would smoke it, long story short:

View attachment 42094View attachment 42095View attachment 42096
Nice man!! Does it have a COM stamp?

Jan 27, 2020
Nice man!! Does it have a COM stamp?

No... only other marking is “genuine imported briar”.

Thats nice with good clear stamps! You got very lucky my friend.

Thank you sir, I have simple tastes in pipes, it seems the gesture which I really appreciated. I don’t think he smoked it much as their is only a thin layer of cake in the upper portion of the bowl, the bottom of the bowl looks almost new.

The other week he told me he quit cigarettes when they were .25 a pack, and said “what are they now, two dollars” :LOL:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Fantastic story! I bet it made him as happy giving it to you as it made you feel receiving it too. Nice looking pipe, should clean up easily and looks to be in good condition.

Buy some PA and fire it up.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No... only other marking is “genuine imported briar”.

Thank you sir, I have simple tastes in pipes, it seems the gesture which I really appreciated. I don’t think he smoked it much as their is only a thin layer of cake in the upper portion of the bowl, the bottom of the bowl looks almost new.

The other week he told me he quit cigarettes when they were .25 a pack, and said “what are they now, two dollars” :LOL:
That’s cool man. I believe at that time some BBB were US made and others in England.

a little work with a polishing cloth and it should be beautiful again.

you’ll have to get it cleaned up and bring it back to show him!

Jan 27, 2020
That’s cool man. I believe at that time some BBB were US made and others in England.

a little work with a polishing cloth and it should be beautiful again.

you’ll have to get it cleaned up and bring it back to show him!

Did LHS make pipes does BBB? Their former factory is like a 20min walk from here.

It took no time to clean the inside and already had a very nice smoke with it. Will take care of the cosmetic condition this week. I’ll try to show him but honestly it’s hard to get him to listen to anything. He always has some story to tell or complaint about a neighbor or something.

Reactions: BROBS and kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Did LHS make pipes does BBB? Their former factory is like a 20min walk from here.

It took no time to clean the inside and already had a very nice smoke with it. Will take care of the cosmetic condition this week. I’ll try to show him but honestly it’s hard to get him to listen to anything. He always has some story to tell or complaint about a neighbor or something.
Hell, that’s just normal crazy old people talk.......I’m 3/4 there myself and only in the mid 50’s:ROFLMAO:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of those old screw-in stinger pipes smoke well, as does my Kaywoodie Drinkless. I've had several friends and neighbors in their nineties. I think the one-way conversation may reflect hearing loss in this gent's case, but usually these people are well worth knowing with stories that reflect the perspective gained in age. I had a terrific neighbor, a retired orchard man from Syracuse, painting houses into his late eighties, who remembered ... wait for it ... Theodore Roosevelt campaigning at the fence row of his father's orchard on his Bull Moose party ticket, which he lost. Lots of great stories, and sharp as a teenager all the way, my neighbor. TR didn't live beyond his 61st birthday, as I recall.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Noice!

When I was a carrier for the PO, I had a similar character on my route, he’d always see me smoking my pipe so one day he brought out a Sasieni pipe for me. It was too far gone but it was a very nice gesture. I still have it laying around somewheres.