PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I picked up a couple of orphaned meerschaums for my collection - well three to be precise with prices ranging from $20 to a high of $68. All the pipes have fine bits and tight stems and with the exception of a cake build up in one or two I think they will clean up nicely and should smoke well when added to my rotation. I will have plenty of time to break them in the week after next! Anyway enjoy as these are absolute beauties.
eBay_03_zps0cc6361f.jpg

eBay_02_zps35e711be.jpg

eBay_01_zps41dd15a9.jpg

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I have not had the luck of winning an estate meer yet. Those are all wonderful! I particularly love the second one. The silver bands just send it over the top. Great score!!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
In answer to your question they are all medium sized but quite deep. An average bowl lasts about an hour and they have to be handled very carefully. I have a couple of big thick clunkers I carry around for out door smoking which outside of a close encounter with a sledge hammer will just about survive anything. Heres a picture to give you some idea of scale between my new acquisitions and my average work day pipes. They all have thick amber stems and the only down side is you need specialized pipe cleaners other wise you run the risk of damaging the amber.
pipes_02_Aug_2014_02_zpsddd388a5.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Hawke I found one in a flea market in the mid to early 1980s and since I had always smoked 'cutty' clay pipes and my dentist was freaking out about 'pipe notches' on my teeth. I thought what the hell I will give this a whirl. Thirty years later with a three pipe a month acquisition habit you can only image how many of these damned things I own. With only one exception all my pipes are meerschaum and in the same style. I always seem to have a handful at the menders but its the wooden cases that cause the problems. I have been very unsuccessful at finding an expert to repair the cases or even clone a new one. Years ago there was a man in London that did this type of work but he has long since passed away/retired.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@tbradsim1 the top one is quite historical as it belonged to Bud Garner whose Grand Son Mack Garner rode and won the 1951 Kentucky Derby. The pipe is about 120 years old and has not been damaged which is why it has no silver band work on the shank.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
That is a provenance , my Mothers family has been in Horse raceing and breeding for years, my father was a jockey at Cajun straight tracks. I was just wanting a nice meer that had colored in the large size but don't have the expertise to acquire a good one. Even if I didn't smoke it, I could look at it, they are just beautiful. I have a Motorcycle in the barn, Big VALKYRIE that I don't ride anymore, Son says sell it, told him NO I like to look at it. Just like pretty things.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Motorcycles can be an issue. About the same time I got into meerschaums I picked up a habit for old motorcycles. This one I sold off the other year but he does does a brother called SS 100
motorcycle_zps5b09226a.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Actually my good fellow, I'm rationing it out to myself. Could I smoke it as an all day blend...HELL YES YOU ENABLER!!(sorry, weak moment) It's delightful and I am attempting to "Condor To Death" any of my junk ass pipes that I deem worthy. Frankly Simon, can not thank you enough for your kindness in securing some for me. I would gladly gush more, but in lieu of the Gay Pipe smoker thread, I'm afraid someone would construe this as me asking you for a date...(HHMMMMmmm)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
The Pusher Lyrics
from Steppenwolf: All Time Greatest Hits
You know the dealer, the dealer is a man

With a lot of Condor in his hand

Ah but the pusher is a monster

Good god he's not a natural man
Read more: Steppenwolf - The Pusher Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Status
Not open for further replies.