PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The perfect image of masculine calmness: Sitting in his easy chair before a fireplace with his smoking pipe, and his dog at his feet. I am so sad I cannot have a moment like this with my beloved Suzie, drawn here, but I think it makes a wonderful image.

susie_2-464x600.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Seeing so many animal lovers here, I thought I would present this drawing I did of Suzanne, the love of my life. An interesting anecdote about a dog's loyalty to her friend: some years ago, my late brother (who had a problem with anger management) got into an argument with me, verging on violence. Walls were punched, tables banged on, and so forth, the anger being directed at me. Suzie was getting up there in age, and I think would have attacked him if she weren't so old. A few hours later, after my brother calmed down, he came up from his basement accomedations to complain about something. We went downstairs to the basement and looked at his room.The room looked like a bomb hit it. Bedclothes were scattered, torn off his bed, his clothes pulled down from shelves, items tossed about. And there was Suzie, grinning her dog grin, as if to ask, "Who, me?" To get even with my brother's mistreatment of me, she rearranged his room. I will remember that incident to my deathbed.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
This is how a portion of my afternoons were spent back in VA before I deployed. Sitting on a bench at Zee's favorite park relaxing with a pipe in one hand, and my little girl by my side. Can't wait to do it again this summer!

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I know how you feel man. Despite everything, this daft lump that costs me a fortune in food's still my favourite thing in the world. She's an extention of me, and I wouldn't swap her for all the tea in china. I love to see people who love their dogs. Reminds me I'm not nuts.

Mar 31, 2014
:rofl: Hahaha! What a good dog! Good girl, Suzie! It's so great when your dog does something you wished you could. Beautiful drawing. Reminds me of my baby girl, actually. All shephards have those intelligent eyes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Great story Sparrowhawk!
When I was very young I had a Schnauzer named Schultz (yep ... from Hogan's Heroes)

Once, while fighting with my brother, Schultz grabbed him by the calf and bit him.

He turned quickly to deal with the dog and I clobbered him.

Before he knew what happened, Schultz and I were half way down the block!

I've had so many animals and loved them all ... how can you not?

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Awesome pics. As you can tell I'm partial to shepherds. Since mine is under 1 year I hope to have many stories to tell. Awesome story it's like they know us and understand us but can't communicate.....but they try!!! Marine33-------Richard

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
C648903C-8A04-42B5-A7D6-4CA43F490B7A-9843-0000132DF832B451_zpseac8b243.jpg
Ki was my buddy for over 10 years, never left my side except at night he slept on wife's side of bed, shows how smart he was. PMon is slowly takeing over but you never forget.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I should clarify something here: Suzanne wasn't a shepherd. She was a Chow mix. She wandered into a school I was teaching at one morning, starved so badly her ribs were showing. The principal let me take her home, where she stayed for the next 13 years and turned into a beautiful dog, a far cry from the starved and dirty dog she was when I took her home with every intention to adopt her out. Obviously it didn't work out that way.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Nice artwork sparrow, i love checking out your drawings when you post them up here. I've been pretty vocal on here recently about my love and adoration for man's best friend, so i'll spare you all that jazz. Really cool to see fellow dog lovers and their pics here and glad to see others think they are more intelligent than meets the eye, as i do. I don't think i will ever be without a dog in my lifetime and my girlfriend and i consider our 3 pups our canine children and definitely part of the family. I remember reading a study a while ago that people with dogs, and i believe they said cats as well, actually live longer than people without them. It went on to say that petting an animal calms ones nerves, reduces stress and lowers blood pressure. I thought that was really cool. I don't know the source but i'm sure you can google it. I believe it.
Here's a pic my gf actually sent me this morning at work of our lazy 3 amigos. She must have let them up there because they are only allowed on our bed when we tell them it's ok and call them up. They all 3 have their own beds right at the foot of ours. Sampson is the shnauzer mix, Roxy is the black Pitbull, and Sergeant is the blue brindle and white Pitbull.
2014060695095011-600x337.jpg

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
I love all dogs! Who know maybe Suzanne has a lil shepherd in her? I just love all types of dogs. They truly are mans best friend!!

Status
Not open for further replies.