PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just finished a very enjoyable Malaysian Chinese New Year lunch with 4 mates.
A classical CNY dish of Yee Saang (Raw fish salad)
A German Spatlese or kabinett is just THE wine to go with this.
A few other bottles with the rest of the meal - a Nonya braised duck and 2 fried noodle dishes.

image.jpgimage.jpg

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Saw this in the what are you smoking thread, glad you made a new one. That looks scrumptious!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Never heard of that dish before but it looks so tasty!
Saw this in the what are you smoking thread, glad you made a new one. That looks scrumptious!
Quite different compared to sushi and sashimi.
There are antecedents in Chinese cuisine, but the M'sian version is a bit more elaborate and has more "secret ingredients" than a KFC special !
The sauce is a sticky honey based concoction, so it is quite sweet.
Hence the recommendation for a sweet German wine to wash it down with.

Traditionally available from the 7th day of CNY onwards until the end of the CNY celebrations, but it has been such a crowd favourite and money spinner for restaurants, that it is one available from CNY Eve onwards.l

Like a lot of things, if you tell people it is of limited availability, the more they will clamour for it ?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Never heard of that dish before but it looks so tasty!
Absolutely marvelous!
I'm a born Foodie, and this really rings my bell!
Thank you all for your comments.

I've been a bit wary of posting food and wine threads because, while it is of great interest to me, I realise that to most, including my wife,food&wine are of little consequence in the grand scheme of things. Worse, it can be seen as just mere affectation.

So thank you for your interest. I promise not bombard you all with every trivial morsel that pass my lips - just the interesting tidbits. ?

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri

I've been a bit wary of posting food and wine threads because, while it is of great interest to me, I realise that to most, including my wife,food&wine are of little consequence in the grand scheme of things. Worse, it can be seen as just mere affectation.

So thank you for your interest. I promise not bombard you all with every trivial morsel that pass my lips - just the interesting tidbits. ?

As for affectation - In my opinion affectation and pretense abound on this site - so what.

Then again you know what they say about opinions?

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Yeah, you're just going to make me hungry! I've no Singapore or Malaysian food near me. There's a fairly decent Indonesian restaurant although it's not quite hot or spicy enough. The cooks from China, including HK, and Taiwan just don't rise to Malaysian and Singaporean standards! And there's certainly no mamak food here! Heh.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: tklee and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, you're just going to make me hungry! I've no Singapore or Malaysian food near me. There's a fairly decent Indonesian restaurant although it's not quite hot or spicy enough. The cooks from China, including HK, and Taiwan just don't rise to Malaysian and Singaporean standards! And there's certainly no mamak food here! Heh.
We're lucky being so close to SE Asia.

Young Aussies are great travellers and bring back their love of SE Asian food (as well as other cuisine) back with them following their trips.

With the change of immigration policy in the '70s, there has been an influx of professional Asian chefs to Australia with a huge impact on the quality of Asian cuisine. There was an infamous period of Australian history where they had a "White Australian" policy.

When I arrived in Australia in the late '60s there was a dearth of M'sian/S'porean food. The one M'sian restaurant in Sydney used milk to make their Laksas and curries, because of problems sourcing coconut milk. When the owner's son was interviewed for a food program a few years back, he said they had to go back to using milk in their recipe, because too many long-time customers complained when they changed over to coconut milk. There is no accounting for taste ?

Thankfully there has been a change for the better and authentic cuisine (not just Asian) is readily found.

Reactions: tklee and mingc