PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Don't believe the ratings, for one. Some of the biggest snakes I've dealt with on eBay have had approval ratings of 100%.

I'll often ask questions of the seller, sometimes ask for extra images if I'm not satisfied with the photos. I'll check the comments and sometimes their bidding history. If a seller doesn't respond to an inquiry it's an automatic pass. I'm not going to bid. The vast majority of sellers are legit, but there are some bad actors on eBay. You can't always avoid crooks. I've had a few sales that I took to eBay for arbitration and those were settled correctly.

Repeated listings can happen for any number of reasons. Often it's because a buyer on the previous listing returned the item, or flaked out on payment. Duplicate listings for the same item by different sellers are a huge red flag.

I agree with all of this. I’m just saying if the question is which do you choose when it’s listed twice, assuming a choice had to be made, how would you go about it apart from recent feedback and seller’s rating?

I get that eBay is inundated with fleas, but in answering that question, I was told my information was patently false. Just looking for an alternative route, assuming a choice was being considered.

@alaskanpiper just got the pleasure of dealing with an eBay scumbag and ended up victorious!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Oh. Then what’s your recommendation?
My recommendation is to be an educated consumer. Ask questions. Look at the pipe on a bigger screen. There are a multitude of ways, but I don’t believe anyone, or anything I see on eBay. Do not be afraid to send it back.

The sleaziest person I ever dealt with on eBay had extremely positive rating numbers and feedback. I had to get eBay involved. It got ugly. But I prevailed.

They said the pipe was pristine, etc., but it had a micro-hairline crack, the seller blamed me. Long story I got my refund; however, since I got a refund I could not leave a negative review. So that absolute scumbag won in the end and is still selling.

BUT the worst purchase I was ever involved with was here on the forum. I got screwed, blued and tattooed. Hasn’t stopped me from buying pipes from other good people here. Caveat Emptor.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
My recommendation is to be an educated consumer. Ask questions. Look at the pipe on a bigger screen. There are a multitude of ways, but I don’t believe anyone, or anything I see on eBay. Do not be afraid to send it back.

The sleaziest person I ever dealt with on eBay had extremely positive rating numbers and feedback. I had to get eBay involved. It got ugly. But I prevailed.

They said the pipe was pristine, etc., but it had a micro-hairline crack, the seller blamed me. Long story I got my refund; however, since I got a refund I could not leave a negative review. So that absolute scumbag won in the end and is still selling.

BUT the worst purchase I was ever involved with was here on the forum. I got screwed, blued and tattooed. Hasn’t stopped me from buying pipes from other good people here. Caveat Emptor.

I think most of that is a given. I meant to answer the question of if two folks have it listed, which do you choose, assuming saying no isn’t an option?

I had a similar situation with the refund/no feedback thing. I bought something with free shipping and when the seller saw how much shipping was going to be, canceled my order and then sent me an invoice for the same product plus $300 in shipping. I didn’t pay that and was able to leave negative feedback on the original purchase, which eBay promptly removed and I was told that it was an honest mistake. Ended up tying up $1,100 for 9 days.

Reactions: BROBS and ChuckMijo

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
There's some history and context to this. A couple of years ago a Chinese seller was posting listings on eBay, offering great deals on pipes that he didn't have. He used images from other listings to pretend that he was offering wonderful deals on some rare pipes, as many as a dozen a week.

One of the other members here, craiginthecorn, spotted the fake listings and posted about them here, asking for help in alerting eBay to the problem. I started reporting the fake listings to eBay, which they ignored. This went on for several weeks before they began to listen.

The fake seller started playing cat and mouse with us, going dormant for a few weeks before popping up under another name and beginning the same scam. I had set up and saved a search which made it relatively easy for me to spot him when he resurfaced. Then I would again report his fake listings. This cat and mouse game went on for about 8 months before he decided to stop. I continued to monitor that search for about 4 more months before finally abandoning it, though I still have it saved. For all I know he's been back at it, but I've had other things to do.

You would think that people would too smart to fall for a primo Comoy Blue Riband being offered for $20, and you would be wrong. Some people just delude themselves into thinking that they're going to take advantage of a dumb seller. Several people here got stung. Hopefuly we helped save a number of others from becoming victims.
Now, that's an idea for retirement; flogging stuff you don't have on eBay. Brilliant!

Reactions: BROBS and ChuckMijo

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I agree with all of this. I’m just saying if the question is which do you choose when it’s listed twice, assuming a choice had to be made, how would you go about it apart from recent feedback and seller’s rating?
A request for extra images would be one way. Only one of these sellers has the pipe, right? If they both can respond, then something really fishy is happening. When in doubt, move on. There's always more down the road.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I think most of that is a given. I meant to answer the question of if two folks have it listed, which do you choose, assuming saying no isn’t an option?

I had a similar situation with the refund/no feedback thing. I bought something with free shipping and when the seller saw how much shipping was going to be, canceled my order and then sent me an invoice for the same product plus $300 in shipping. I didn’t pay that and was able to leave negative feedback on the original purchase, which eBay promptly removed and I was told that it was an honest mistake. Ended up tying up $1,100 for 9 days.
That’s my point. eBay is not buyer friendly and surely isn’t seller friendly. It’s just a big yard sale you don’t drive too.

It can definitely get messy and that’s why I never trust anyone on there especially feedback or ratings.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
That’s my point. eBay is not buyer friendly and surely isn’t seller friendly. It’s just a big yard sale you don’t drive too.

It can definitely get messy and that’s why I never trust anyone on there especially feedback or ratings.

Agreed. It’s always buyer beware.

A request for extra images would be one way. Only one of these sellers has the pipe, right? If they both can respond, then something really fishy is happening. When in doubt, move on. There's always more down the road.

Perhaps. Although it wouldn’t surprise me if there are duplicates where neither of them has one.

I like image searching on Google for stuff like that. Of course, the best prevention is the keen eyes of forum members here sending out PSA’s!

Reactions: ChuckMijo

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Perhaps. Although it wouldn’t surprise me if there are duplicates where neither of them has one.
Then neither of them will be able to supply extra views of the pipe. That's one reason why I avoid sellers who are unresponsive. In any event, if you have a nagging suspicion that something isn't adding up just move on. There are always, always, always more fish in the sea.

Reactions: ChuckMijo

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Then neither of them will be able to supply extra views of the pipe. That's one reason why I avoid sellers who are unresponsive. In any event, if you have a nagging suspicion that something isn't adding up just move on. There are always, always, always more fish in the sea.

Oh I agree. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that it wouldn’t surprise me to find two scams with the same item.

I’m with you - extra cautious and if it’s too good to be true, it probably is.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I was just in this boat. I saw a pipe listed wrong. It’s a semi rare pipe . The pics were horrible. I asked several times for pics from the seller . No response. I moved along. I wasn’t about a cheap education.

Status
Not open for further replies.