PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like many of you probably was chomping at the bit to get my hands on this stuff after reading about it here and was even more excited to see that thepipeguys would be selling it this year. I pre-ordered and tried it out straight away and absolutely loved it, but I was concerned about it's availability so I ordered whenever I could and I feel like I have a sufficient stockpile. However I'm not entirely sure how I should store this tobacco long term. It said keeping it in the foil was fine (I assume this is basically the pouch rule), but this is not an everyday smoke for me so I have concerns there as well. I just know that it's so dry already; it's a bit of curveball for me. Can you store them in the foil long term or should I switch to jars? I've got 5 unopened bricks that represent a hefty investment for me and I'd hate for them to be ruined just because I don't know any better. Right now I just have them in a tupperware. Any thoughts?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I store mine is a glass storage jar with a rubber seal. Picked it up at World Market for 5 bucks. It is very humid here in New Orleans, and I felt that jarring it would help it stay dry. I have tried using Tupperware before, but I found that tobaccos stored in Tupperware containers tended to dry out faster. Not really a problem with Semois, I suppose, but I still believe glass is the best bet in the long term. bTW, I have not had much luck with the silicone sealed jars.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I just have the one brick, but I stored it spread throughout 3 mason jars right away. I'm almost finished the first jar, what a wonderful tobacco!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Take your Tupperware container and put some water in it. Put the lid on and see if it leaks anywhere. If not, your Semois will be good to go. A jar would be ideal but I have kept bagged tobacco in Tupperware for years due to the seal being tight enough. Another option would be to place duct tape around the container. I did this with some Esoterica in the foil bags and they kept just fine for years.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Got some en route from The Pipe Guys. Should be here early next week,excited to try it out. I don't do anything special with my tobacco when it comes to storing it, I have mostly tins and i just open them and use them at my own leisure without worrying about perfect humidity and this and that. Too much work for me and i'm happy with it. I have between 40 and 50 open tins in my tobacco drawer at the moment. Pipe tobacco Blasphemy? Heresy? I don't really care, works for me!
Although i will throw this stuff in a tupperware container with a tight lid because of its packaging.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I stuck mine in mason jars since I had a few empty ones handy. I think this is probably the "safest" bet since the jars are air tight and Semois doesn't have any anti-mold agents in it. Truth be told, you are probably fine keeping it in the foil if you plan to smoke it regularly. I find it to be a very rare smoke for me, so I think jars are the way to go long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.