PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone,
I am a tad confused with this new tobacco ban that everyone is talking about. I had no idea the bill even existed until I joined the forum, and although I have been able to pick up bits and pieces here and there I would like for someone to explain what this bill means, if it has been passed, if it hasn't can we still act out against it, and lastly where can I get more information in regards to this issue.

It would be good to be a little more educated on something that effects a hobby that I have grown to really enjoy.

Hope some of you well informed people can help make me just as knowledgeable about this topic.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am not sure of exactly how it works. Others can clear it up better than I can, but what I get out of it is that the Goverments will be applying more and more taxes on baccys over the next few yrs making it more difficult to obtain flavored baccys. Pipe and Cigar baccys will be taxed to the extreme making the cost 2 or 3 times what they are now. Eventually all but eliminating many blends. Like I said, I may be wrong, but others may be able to clarify better.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What seems to be fairly solid, Waz, is that, in the US, the FDA now has some oversight authority over tobacco products. This is beyond what the Bureau of ATF had. ATF is part of the Treasury Department, and was primarily responsible for making sure Federal taxes on tobacco were properly paid.
This is a done deal - the law giving the FDA oversight was passed in 2009. The law passed both Houses of Congress overwhelmingly - 298 to 112 in the House,79 to 17 in the Senate. The margins indicate that there was bipartisan support for the bill.
Here's an article in Wikipedia.
What is not known is what the full implications will be for pipe smokers.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
The primary concern seems to be that in 2009 this act was used to ban "flavored cigarettes" ie: cloves and the like. It did not at the time target cigars, pipe tobacco, e-cigs, snuff, etc... It seems now that there is a group trying to broaden the scope of this ban to cover all forms of tobacco thus eliminating the ability to add flavor, such as cherry, chocolate, vanilla, etc...Doing this would I believe take all aro's off the market. What I am not clear on however, is how it would affect blends that aren't classified as aro's...or don't flat out say "cherry bomb, or butter rum" on the tin.
What I imagine we'll see should this happen, would be a new type of product that could be mixed into other "base" tobacco's, to add flavor/aroma.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Everything is topped or cased in some way. Just because its not an aromatic doesn't mean it isn't flavored. Captin Bob seems to have a good grasp of the implications and I'm relaying information posted by him. If I knew how to post the link to the thread where he said it I'd do it. Can someone else help waz out?

Status
Not open for further replies.