PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
When ever I see questions in the forum about meerschaum pipes I always kinda hang back and wait for the experts, like Fred to give an answer. I know a few things only from years of experience of handling them but I'm certainly not the guy to go to for the answers.... I've been smoking pipes since '72 but didn't get my first meerschaum until 1975. During that time, you actually did need to be concerned with weather you got a real block meerschaum or pressed pipe. For those that don't know, a pressed pipe is made from the sawdust or carving left-overs mixed with glue and put in a form to make a pipe. Or what looks like a pipe anyway. Currently, the only pressed pipes you'll find are bowls made for Calabash pipes or briers with a so called meerschaum lining. (Yes, your Paykoc, WhitePipe, Servi-Meerschaum, SMS pipes are true and genuine block meerschaums.... There are many more, and that includes all Turkish suppliers that are in business today.) If you buy a New Pipe, and get a pressed meerschaum from an unscrupulous seller, I'd say you have something no one else has, or very few now-a-days....

In the seventies and earlier, you had to be more careful. Block meerschaum was exported all over the world and lots of people got to make choices on what you got as a final product. When Turkey stopped exporting in the mid 70's, it was much more controlled. They have a grading system that is total Greek except to them. Meerschaum stone comes in 12 different grades, and each grade has 12 sub-grades. You'll never see what grade your pipe is, it's just for them. It has to do with what the digger/minor charges the maker/carver.

I have pipes that take on color/patina quickly, and others I've smoked for years that have done little but I enjoy smoking them regardless... I've never known what "grade" meerschaum they are, and most likely you never will either. My point is though, try to trust the suppliers of today and get a nice meerschaum pipe to smoke....

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks Top.

I so want a Meershaum pipe... Knowledge is power, and just makes choosing the right one easier.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Good information TopD. I own four, 3 block(1 known origin/ 2 unknown) and one falcon bowl from meerschaumstore.com

But are all great pipes.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Good deal guys... One thing I forgot to deal with that I meant to. How to tell a block from a pressed pipe. You've all heard (put some saliva on it) or (rub it on your chin).... HaHaaaa I also heard one time to rub it on nylon... None of these work. You'll just have to learn from experience. I'll bet that was the worst answer you were hoping for, but the best I can do.

But if you have a block, and a press, put some saliva on the rim of both. The block will absorb the liquid first..... It won't happen emeditally like others have sujested, but it will happen pretty quick...

Look closely at the stone, you'll know if it's real, you can tell by lookin' at it, it's natural. Most guys see it, and then say crap, then don't want to admit they have a pressed inferior piece of junk. Sorry but, that's when they start asking questions on what is this that I have......

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have one meer that I got from my B+M that was an old estate never smoked. It looked horrible lol. The ugliest weird flowers in it, a squat tomato shape with a long ugly stem on it. Now about a year later it is a short stem, paneled bent billiard shape and one of my best smokers. Best part is every time I changed something on it I re-waxed it and now it has a sweet coloring to it.

Like Top says..... make a little wet spot and see how fast it drys.... faster the dry the more porous the meerschaum.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I have a few few meets that I bought from a reputable company, SMS. They are good pipes they smoke well.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As you all well know I have a very extensive ensemble of vintage plain pre 1908 meerschaum pipes. I have found over time found that these pipes which have all been carved out of solid meerschaum give excellent service. They smoke well and are highly absorbent and I found that they have never given me any problems outside of the issues of getting a pipe cleaner down the stem. Outside of the plain 'poker' or 'billiard' style I tend to give modern meerschaums a bit of a miss due to the hugely ornate carvings which necessitates a thicker wall to the bowl which results in my opinion in a hot smoke. I think over time people have purchased what I call 'tourist pipes' when on holiday in Turkey and this has dented the excellent reputation that the Turks enjoy as pipe makers. I have not purchased a new meerschaum, by which I mean brand new, since the mid 1980s but everything I have read here and elsewhere leads me to conclude they will give a life time of excellent service.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Meerschaum pipes in turkey are virtually non existent for local sale, from what I could tell. You might be able to root them out of somewhere if you're really dedicated, but it's definitely not as if they're on every street corner and shop. I was there last week and I saw a total of 5 pipes. They were roughly arranged in a dusty corner under some chinese junk.
Didn't see a single pipe smoker, nor pipe tobacco. I wasn't in Istanbul, where I imagine there are probably some more to be found because of more tourism, but I was passing through some other large centres and a touristic coast for a bit of time. Meerschaum seems like a forgotten part of the past, if you ask me.
I was told that the best pipes you can get from Turkey are found online, and those are for sale in the United States and some european countries. Seems to be generally true.
As for block, I agree. You have to buy a few to tell. If you buy from someone reputable and from a known carver, chances are you won't get scammed. Mine all have slight bits of character in the meerschaum that you wouldn't find in a pressed block of dust. Problem is that it only shows up after they start to colour, at least on mine. Anyway, if you start seeing this when it's colouring, it's a good sign, in my opinion.
Best person for meerschaum pipes, from my experience, is Burak from meerschaummarket.com
I bought an amazing I Baglan from him and it's just... incredible.
I don't work for them. You ought to go to their website and see the stock of master carvers' pipes. It's pretty mind blowing and it is the best collection of ready pipes I've ever seen. Very talented group of carvers.
I broke a stem doing something stupid and he offered to replace it for free. I went to Turkey and he offered a place to visit, a phone to call in case of trouble, and a good dose of local knowledge to help the journey. Stand up guy! I'd give him my business again in a second. Highly recommended and I'm sure you're getting the real deal with his supply.

The cheaper meers that you see on amazon and most non-pipe related stores are pressed. I wouldn't say they are not seen any more today, it's just that reputable pipe store won't carry them. I have one pressed meer pipe that I picked up a little over a year ago on amazon. It was only $60, so I added it on to an order. It broke the first time I smoked it, but since it was merely pennies for the pipe, I just chocked it up to a learning experience. Plus, the stem worked great as a replacement for a meer that I picked up at an antique shop.
But, you are most likely going to see pressed meers for under $100. Unless you just need a stem, I wouldn't spend less than $150 on a meer.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I lucked out by scoring 2 Hayim Pinhas carved block meers for $30.00. Just rec'vd them today and already smoked one. It is cool and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.