PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has anyone ever heard of Lindström pipes? The Wikipedia article on them is only a few lines, but some deeper searching brought me to an old thread from alt.smokers.pipes that I've heard mentioned before.

Copied from there:

"
Lindström was a pseudonym and was probably chosen because danish and
scandinavian pipes had this "special flair" in that days.
It was a German company which started in the late 50s and invented the brass
ferrule patent. The ring had 4 holes of different sizes which you could turn
matching over an airhole in the stem. An arrow on the stem marked the place
where they match. In this way you could regulate the mount of air to add to
the smoke, resullting in a dry and cool smoking pleasure."

Sounds kind of like an adjustable carburetor doesn't it? Unfortunately the poster's website from the thread is down, so I can't get any more one of than that.

My example is an unsmoked NOS from a favorite ebay seller. It has two tiny fills that are barely noticeable. It does have some sort of bowl coating on it.

P_20201110_122003.jpgP_20201110_122015.jpgP_20201110_122040.jpgP_20201110_122102.jpgP_20201110_122150.jpgP_20201110_122303.jpg

Reactions: anantaandroscoggin

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An interesting piece for sure. I'm curious about the finish, as I am about several pipes of mine, or that I had in the past. It almost looks like the grain is at least partly painted on. Was and is that a technique used to enhance the look of pipes? I swear it looks like brush strokes rather than actual grain showing through the finish. Also, have you smoked the pipe, and what is the effect, if any, of the adjustable ferrule? It looks like more of a patent gimmick, of which there were many-many, when pipe making was an intensely competitive industry with high volume sales.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
I swear it looks like brush strokes rather than actual grain showing through the finish

No, it is definitely a stain. The photography is decidedly not top quality!

Also, have you smoked the pipe, and what is the effect, if any, of the adjustable ferrule?

I haven't, and honestly I have enough issues dealing with a normal pipe, let alone one with adjustable holes.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I can’t imagine having an air hole in the stem. What a bizarre feature. I suppose it could make the draw cooler, but you could just crack your lips open a tiny bit for a similar effect. And after trying that, I don’t like the effect.

I’m glad I started well after all the innovations to stop gurgle and hot steam. It forced me to slow down, rather than rely on technology.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
magicinchdiagram.jpg
E.A. Carey...

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
I can’t imagine having an air hole in the stem. What a bizarre feature. I suppose it could make the draw cooler, but you could just crack your lips open a tiny bit for a similar effect. And after trying that, I don’t like the effect.

I’m glad I started well after all the innovations to stop gurgle and hot steam. It forced me to slow down, rather than rely on technology.

It certainly is a little gimmicky, but everyone needs to sell pipes right? A P-lip is gimmicky in the same way I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.