PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
So I have been eye'in these for awhile and finally got one...
A full-bent (classic) in black; $55.00 plus shipping

Weight: 2.3oz

Chamber depth: 1-1/8"

Chamber diameter: 7/8"

Vulcanite stem

Cork gasket in Mortis and they sent an extra one, additional corks

are $6-for 6
Mold/firing is outstanding, a solid sitter, great jaw-hanger. Super-fast

shipping from VT.
This being double-walled makes handling a dream when fired up,

don't try that with other clays ;-) smoking some C&D's Three Friars

in her now, great/pure tobacco flavors through and through.
I will be purchasing a few more for myself and a few for gifts...
Stay tuned for some pics, as soon as I get to a computer I will

post them up

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I got my first Lepeltier back in the 80's and loved it till I dropped it and it shattered. I've got two now and I haven't smoked them in awhile,I like to just display them.
img_0007-600x400.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've been meaning to get one. I'm so glad you took the time to let us know about them and post the picture! :clap:

Maybe I'll get a white one, just to see how it colors. Link.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
To see how it colors?
Am I missing something or was that a joke that I'm currently ruining by over analyzing?
They're ceramic aren't they? And they color? What what?
And can you really hold it in your hand without it permanently fusing itself to your skin?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I really like mine as well. The double-wall design give a very cool and dry smoke.

Just be careful cleaning it. A lot of moisture collects between the bowl walls.
Here's mine. My next one may have to be a full bend.

LePeltier.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The ceramic colors because the glassy finish is only on the outside. The inside, where the tars and nicotine

contact the pipe can be treated to reveal images as the pipe is smoked. Here's an example of a pastoral scene

with three maids with baskets approaching a pond -- at least that's what I think it's supposed to be. The pipe was white when new.

pipe_info.jpg

Claythree600.jpg
ClayStitched.jpg
Claythree.jpg

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Good looking pipe! I always enjoy a break from the norm and after reading the site I think I'm sold.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Resurrecting this thread rather starting a new one because it has some good info on these pipes. I just bought an estate LePeltier clay pipe, and have been having fun smoking it. It certainly smokes different than the traditional clay pipes, but then again it looks very different too. It does get a little hot but nothing like the old style pipes. Also having a nice vulcanite stem is the real beauty of this pipe. It almost works like a calabash as the pipe is double walled. My bowl wouldn't come real clean of the stains, but after washing I can't really smell anything. The style of my pipe isn't something I would usually be drawn to, but for the price ($14) I'm not going to complain. It is a different experience in smoking, and so far the pros outweigh the cons. I assume there are some others here that have one of these, so what do you think of them?
Here's a couple of photos:

img_0043-600x432.jpg

img_0047-473x600.jpg

img_0050-600x417.jpg

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Got my new blue Burley in a couple of days ago and have put three bowls through it. The first thing I noticed about the pipe was that the hole in the bottom of the bowl seemed tiny, probably less than 1/32" wide. Sure enough the draw was quite tight. I used a thin sharp pick to slowly and carefully ream the hole until it was about twice the size it was originally. The instructions say to use damp tobacco and smoke slowly, a near contradiction in terms for me. Loaded the bowl with some un-dried Campaign Flake and lit her up. Despite many relights it was an enjoyable experience. Very cool, dry, and flavorful smoke plus the bowl never got too hot to hold. The draw was still very slightly on the tight side but it smoked well enough to not be an issue.
I've since smoked a bowl of Trout Stream followed by Khoisaan with excellent results and not the slightest hint of ghosting from the Trout Stream. One might well be able to smoke even a Lakeland without ghosting. The pipe works very well but but not well enough to prompt me to abandon my briars. An excellent value though and very attractive. I'd even recommend it to a beginner if it wasn't on the fragile side.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Orley - thanks for ressurecting is thread. I searched briefly for a "show us your..." And didn't see one.
I also just got a burley with the grey glaze. The bowl measures 13/16 diameter and is about an inch deep. Having smoked only three bowls in it of various tobaccos, (a VaPer, an aro, and an English) I can confirm everything that's been said here.
It is very light and comfortable to clench. It does get hot, but not nearly as hot as a single wall clay. The bowl is deceptively small for the volume of the outside shape because of the double wall, but is providing me with a happy half hour smoke.
For it's price and flavor neutrality, I would heartily recommend it to new smokers or anyone who enjoys a wide variety of tobaccos and doesn't have/isn't into amassing a large collection of briars. Despite being 5 years old, the prices in the original post are still correct.
The drawback of fragility I can't comment on until I break it, of course. But keeping it at home and babying it a little isn't an imposition.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Chilllucky I said that it might be on the fragile side but it does seem fairly robust. I wouldn't want to put it to the test by dropping it on a hard floor though. Mine will likely be a stay-at-home as well. I forgot to mention that I got a spare cork shank seal with my order. Should hold me for a few years at least.

64alex

May 10, 2016
I have a straight billiard as it is the one with the largest bowl of all the Lepeltier. In my opinion it is the best smoking pipe as it is absolutely flavour neutral and absolutely dry. Differently from briars never need the use of a cleaner during smoke. It is the one I am using the most, definitely much more often than briars. I use only inside on a coach as even if it looks robust I doubt it would resist a fall on an hard floor. It is also very easy to clean, just run under hot water and you're done and no ghosting at all.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have one of these pipes on my wishlist thanks to this forum. Flavour neutral and absolutely dry is just what I am looking for! I had high hopes for meerschaums but they are too expensive and hard to source. These Lepeltier pipes might be just the ticket...

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, now I'm starting to feel like an enabler. Lasttango, I like yours better, but let me know what you think of the pipe. I still have to work to keep the pipe from getting hot, but still no where as bad as the old fashioned clays.

Status
Not open for further replies.