PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I'm currently on holiday in France, and couldn't stay in Paris without visiting A la Pipe du Nord. This is a fantastic shop with lots of great estates, as well as many new pipes (including all the usuals, as well as factory and handmade French pipes). Pictured is my new Bruno Nuttens pipe, along with some paté made by my friend's grandad. I also had to satisfy my nostalgia by getting the cigarettes I always used to get in France, although sadly they no longer come in the soft packet they used to (I used to love feeling like a film star tapping cigarettes out of the pack).IMG20240609132206.jpgIMG20240608153547.jpgIMG20240609142653.jpg

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I'm currently on holiday in France, and couldn't stay in Paris without visiting A la Pipe du Nord. This is a fantastic shop with lots of great estates, as well as many new pipes (including all the usuals, as well as factory and handmade French pipes). Pictured is my new Bruno Nuttens pipe, along with some paté made by my friend's grandad. I also had to satisfy my nostalgia by getting the cigarettes I always used to get in France, although sadly they no longer come in the soft packet they used to (I used to love feeling like a film star tapping cigarettes out of the pack).View attachment 316594View attachment 316595View attachment 316596
Nice - although in the UK, Gitanes always came in a flat 10x2 pack with nice artwork; the soft packs were Disque Bleu and Gauloise.

Reactions: grimpeur

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I used to smoke for years those wonderful filterless french made cigarettes in 80-90ies, Bastos, Gitanes Mais (wides with yellow corn paper)and regular and most of all Gauloises non filtre , unfortunately today these all are a mere shadow of what they were back then
That's very true. I think the Gitanes have changed since I was last in France, pre-Covid. Still a strong cigarette though!

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Was he selling tobacco back then? He doesn't now. I've been looking for Caporal but all the Tabacs just
say 'oh, that's hard to find'.
Shocking that Caporal is now rare - I thought it rough as old guts back in the day, but it was the common man's RYO in France.

Everything seems to be "decaf" in cigarette world nowadays, all the nic punch gone missing.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
The only vendor/distributor for tobacco in France is the government. They name the price and what will be sold. I don’t think they care or know much about pipe smokers. Mail order is also not legal. Its a state monopoly.

Reactions: jpmcwjr