A Happy Find: Potlatch Edition (With a Question)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As mentioned, I like Potlatch because it brings together about six tobaccos in a successful way, which isn't that common. I've had blends with "too many" different tobaccos that were harsh and muddy flavored. It takes knowhow to get five or six or more tobaccos to cooperate and harmonize, like conducting an orchestra. Another tobacco, not similar but sharing this virtue, is Home and Hearth Midtown series Chestnut, a match to the discontinued Walnut. I had a Mac Baren blend of many tobaccos that just didn't work, and I like several Mac Baren blends, but this one just didn't gel or work together, and it was harsh. I think it takes a lot of trial and error to get a number of tobaccos to make a good blend, a lot of trying proportions and adjusting them. This can take months or even years.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I bought an 8oz tub of Potlatch a couple years ago, and it's slowly growing on me. At first it seemed like a kitchen sink blend with too much going on, but over time I've really started to enjoy the unity of flavors.