PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
What makes some smokes particularly satisfying?

I had a bowl of Squadron Leader this morning, in a Vauen bent billiard. It just worked -- to the point where I didn't want to put the pipe down and was considering firing up another bowl right away. I really like SL -- its tasty enough without being overpowering in any way, and i find it fairly uncomplicated but still interesting enough, which suits my relatively unsophisticated palate. And there was no lingering taste when I was done.

What made this a great smoke for me was not just the taste but in particular the mechanics -- it burned smoothly, cleanly and all the way down to a fine white ash. No moisture in the bowl at all, With some bowls I get good smoke output at the beginning but then it keeps petering out and at the last 1/3 won't stay lit and gets acrid. I know some don't care about the number of relights, or leaving a significant amount of tobacco at the bottom of the bowl, but I always find that not having to fight the tobacco or the pipe really adds to the experience. For me its key.

What makes a smoke great for you?

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
I’ll never forget my first “oh shit that was good” bowl. I had just got my castello, I was more committed to this hobby. I was driving, so maybe not overthinking it or something, but tasted things in escudo that I didn’t know existed. I have since had better and worse bowls of the same tin with the same pipe...

some days It just works.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
What I really enjoy about Squadron Leader and Squadron Leader w/ Perique is the way the 'base' tobaccos peek out from behind the veil of Latakia. A masterful blend that can be a magical smoke for sure!!!

But, like every other thing in life, I can always get in the way of magical stuff with my impatience, lack of focus, and inattention to details (like drying, packing, tamping, and puffing in the case of pipe smoking).

I think I enjoy those moments of Zen Pipe Smoking so much not only because the taste is so wonderful, but also because it is an affirmation that I can, on occasion, be in the moment and fully involved in an experience.

I realize there is a chicken and egg conundrum here: which come first the 'attention' or 'the smoke?' My suspicion for a long time has been that criticizing the pipe or the blend are not productive ways of achieving a magical smoking experience. Duh. My wife tells me all the time that I'm the problem. I don't tell her she's 'right' but she is.

IdleCaribou

Lurker
Dec 8, 2020
What I really enjoy about Squadron Leader and Squadron Leader w/ Perique is the way the 'base' tobaccos peek out from behind the veil of Latakia. A masterful blend that can be a magical smoke for sure!!!

But, like every other thing in life, I can always get in the way of magical stuff with my impatience, lack of focus, and inattention to details (like mcdvoice drying, packing, tamping, and puffing in the case of pipe smoking).

I think I enjoy those moments of Zen Pipe Smoking so much not only because the taste is so wonderful, but also because it is an affirmation that I can, on occasion, be in the moment and fully involved in an experience.

I realize there is a chicken and egg conundrum here: which come first the 'attention' or 'the smoke?' My suspicion for a long time has been that criticizing the pipe or the blend are not productive ways of achieving a magical smoking experience. Duh. My wife tells me all the time that I'm the problem. I don't tell her she's 'right' but she is.

Most of smokes are great. Just relaxing and satisfying. Today's smoke was great, but my Bluetooth ear buds was keep stopping for some reason. Still, smoke was great.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Mission Accomplished!

This is the feeling when the grass is mowed, the paper has been written, bills are all paid this month, dishes are washed, overall peace has descended on the Winton household.

Now, I can retreat to the garage with a pipe and enjoy some time alone in peace.