PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
So, many of you know I am exploring the idea of moving to Tennessee. To this end, it makes sense to do a recon of the state. I have a friend who is moving to a small town outside of Knoxville. I have offered to drive one of his vehicles over for him and will have my dad fly in and we will explore the state after I get there.

The truck I am driving is a diesel and has been 'pepped up' a bit. Unfortunately, under load on a hill, it tends to blow the hose right off the turbo. I have asked if this is fixed and am assured it has been. I am still a bit worried, as I will be hauling a 20' enclosed trailer over some mountains with this thing.

Our first stage is taking us to Las Vegas, to drop some stuff off, then we head East.

I was hoping to get into Vegas with enough time to maybe meet up with some peeps for a smoke, but this looks unlikely now.

Wish me luck. We are supposed to leave tomorrow, but it now looks like we may not make it out the door until Sunday. I need to get to TN by the 29th so I can get my dad from the airport on time in Nashville.

Once (If) I make it to drop off my buddies truck and trailer, my adventure hits stage II. I am going to explore the state with my dad to find places to relocate to. I have to stay within 100 miles of major military installations like Ft. Campbell and Arnold AFB in order to stay in range of the sexy retired military healthcare. I am not sure if the Milan ammo plant or the Redstone Arsenal count, but will find out.

If you know of any B&M's in Tennessee, I am going to be starting in Nashville (picking up dad), then working my way around most of the whole state. My goal is to look at areas I want to live and dropping off resumes with all the school districts in/around the areas I want to live.

If any of you want to meet up while I am there, I will be on my phone, but will try to answer any PM's.

puffypuffy

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Update: I talked my buddy out of his crap truck and we got a uhaul. His wife bought a 2015 Ram that is hauling his car trailer just fine.

When he showed me his 20ft cargo trailer full of tool boxes and large tools and explained I was going to pull it with a 20ft uhaul (gasser, no exhaust brake) and that his trailer has no brakes, I declined. (I am reasonably certain I would have died in the Siskyous if I had relented). We ended up stuffing what we could to pack the uhaul and he is going to have.to make a 2nd trip.

I tried to get them to push ahead of the winter storm that is by now hammering hwy 59 east of Bakersfield, but to no avail. We shall have to await daylight and see what we get. Tehachapi can get squirrelly and I haven't thrown iron on a truck since my 20s.

Fingers crossed, I should be in Vegas by 5 or 6 pm which is enough time to meet up. Ash and Shane, if you know of a place let me know. I can't be out tooooo late, because I told my buddy come Tuesday morning we are making a beeline for Knoxville. I should still have plenty of time for a nice smoke or 2.

Would love to make it to a pipe shop. I haven't been to any outside the PNW.

Status
Not open for further replies.