PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Custom Falcon bowl on its way from Mr. Dave in Brisbane.
dave-grain-600x412.jpg

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
That is probably by far the best falcon bowl I have ever seen. My falcon is the same except for the leaking draft tube entering the aluminium base of the pipe. I'm Still unsure if I want to replace it. If not I will send you my falcon briar bowl, also I have 2 packs of unopened falcon filter rings I will send if I decide against replacing the falcon pipe.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
According to Mr. Anderson he only uses carnauba to finish his bowls so a bit may have gotten on the inner surface. Might take a smoke or two to eliminate but probably not much more than that. In fact a bit of alky on a cotton pad should take care of it. Also his bowls are not threaded but instead use a groove and o-ring setup that he swears by.
None of my Falcon stems have any mechanical issues but I've only been using them for about 8-10 months and they don't see heavy use in my rotation. Thanks for the offer toby but I've got more Falcon rings than I'll need for a long time plus they are absurdly easy to fab up with pipe cleaners.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
What about the Falcon bowl, do you want it? It's a briar with a dark stain and has a lot of use left in it

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Thanks but I have several factory bowls, a meer bowl, and the one coming from 'strailia so I'm set for a couple decades at least. Regarding your stem I'm thinking that a wee dab of JB Weld, judiciously applied, might fix things right up.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Update: Finally got the Anderson bowls in (mine and others for friends) and so far they smoke a treat. The billiard bowl has fairly thin walls and a very generous capacity for a Falcon which results in the bowl getting quite hot even though the smoke is not hot or harsh at all. Even the stem got really toasty so I head scratched and came up with this. I slid two 9mm "white" Softy bits down the twist shank until they were near the bowl junction. Problem solved. Looks a little screwy but it works great. The heat doesn't seem to bother the briar at all but I'm keeping an eye on it.
I used a similar fix on my black/white bent with meerschaum bowl but used black 9mm Softies instead of white. Rather less obtrusive in this case I think Now I can both keep my fingers cool and away from the bowl, if I feel like it.
softy-falcons-600x449.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.