A Good Smoke With Captain Beefheart (Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Been a while since I've had a chance to roam the message boards and even longer since I've posted anything pipe related. I miss this place!
Had a very successful interview/lunch with the owner of a masonry company today, looks like I'll have a nice job lined up at the end of my season with the ski resort. After leaving the meeting I finished some other stuff on my to-do list, came back home, and sat down with my pipe. Nobody else was in the house, which is an unfortunately rare treat for me.
DSC_0580_zpsiy3oivld.jpg

Loaded up my Patriot with a bit of D&R Picayune. This has been my go-to pipe for a few weeks. I swapped the original stem out for a smaller MM piece, sort of made a nosewarmer out of it. Nice for when I smoke while riding my bike around the city.
DSC_0579_zpstgom3ln8.jpg

Neighborhood was quiet. Too quiet. Grabbed my speaker and magical music device, turned on some dandy old Captain Beefheart. Went with the Safe As Milk album, I love that first track, Sure 'Nuff 'n' Yes, I Do.
DSC_0576_zpsoy1ggfyp.jpg

My smoking buddy is still in position. Seems like he survived the winter ok, despite living on our porch. Doesn't talk much. Still hasn't introduced himself. Decided to name him Captain Beefheart. I might steal him when we move this summer...
DSC_0594_zpshyb6nynx.jpg

During the interview I was told I'd probably need to shave so that I can wear a respirator. Gonna miss looking this ridiculous.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Floopy Boot Stomp!!! Love that song, was the first of his that I ever heard.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Captain Beefheart is one of my favorites. Sorry to hear you may have to chop the beard. That sucks.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Never knew we had some Beefheart fans. Ice cream for crow.
If you guys dig the Captain, I'm sure you like Zappa too.
Zappa is one of favorite musicians.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Nice pics haines! Love those old neighborhoods, reminds me of my childhood in the 50s. Sitting on the porch and smoking is one of life's great pleasures, as so many members here will tell you. (especially Bradley) :wink:
edit: I'm all for Zappa too, not to mention Ry Cooder and Tom Waits!

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Had a very successful interview/lunch with the owner of a masonry company today,
Just got offered the job! I'll start with them in March. Can't wait!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Good news for you. I haven't been around for a while either. So you did move huh? Last time I was here, you were getting ready to move (to live with your girlfriend, if I am not mistaken).

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
What part of the masonry trade are you getting into restoration? I have been in the trade now 29 yes,started as a labor moved up to mason residential commercial construction,did high temp refractory and now doing restoration for the last 8 years.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
LOVED your pics!! And the bowtie!!! HAven't seen one that awesome in ages! And I've got a young colleague in a band I play it that has to lose his very similar beard for his new job as well... fireman/paramedic. I can see the sense in that fer sher! Good luck with the new job and HERE HERE to porch-smokes!! jerry

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'About swooned for that photo of the neighborhood, those old frame houses in the winter. My home place, that we still maintain for a handicapped sister, is a frame house that is now more than 100 years old on a tree-lined street. So Midwest. I marched with the Cub Scouts through that elm canopy in the Memorial Day parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.